Ch.11 The Second Day

"Ok, that's good then." Not knowing what else to say, I started to eat my breakfast while finishing the worksheet. The whole kitchen became quiet as everyone ate.

Noticing the quietness he spoke up, "Hey, did you not get your homework done last night. Do you need any help?"

Feeling glad that he would like to help I said, "I just have to finish up this questionnaire for APES then read the first chapter for History."

Pondering hard my brother paused for a second before saying, "Ms. Fassler teaches APES right? She's a fun teacher. That was the only class I got all A's in... I think your brother and I was one of her favorite students!"

Turning to face my mother I asked, " Mom do you remember Ms. Fassler? She seems really nice."

Pausing for a while, my mother's face suddenly brightened before saying, "Elizabeth?! Oh, she was one of my first friends after I met your father. She was such a gem. I think its been, what 8 years since I saw her last. Last thing I heard from her was that she got married and started to work at the High School. Say hi to her for me when you see her at school honey."

"Okay, I will." 

It is comforting to know that there will be one teacher that my family knows. After finishing the questionnaire and my breakfast, I quickly started to read the first chapter in the history book. I'll just skim over it and look over it again later.

Just as I finished a couple of pages, Jared walked into the living room with his backpack. As he adjusted the strap of the backpack he asked "Ready to go, Jake? See you later Cress."

Turning around jake replied, "Yep." After shoveling the last bit of eggs into his mouth he stood up and grabbed his backpack. Turning around he said, "Bye! See you at school Cressie!"

"Bye." Once they left the kitchen my parents wished me a good day at school. "Hope you have a wonderful day!"

In a cheerful voice I responded, "Thanks, I will! See you later today."

Still not finished with the readings, I hurriedly shoved the book in and zipped my bag up. I will have to finish it up between classes. I quickly walked out the door, to see everyone except for Finn already in the car. I hope I don't make us late for school.

He leaned up against the car, amused that I was running late today since I am always on time. Jogging up to Finn feeling bad I said, "Sorry, I'm finally ready. Let's go."

He nodded his head before saying, "Hop in the jeep. I'll make sure we won't be late."

With a smile, I opened the door and clumsily slipped into the seat. "Good morning everyone, sorry I'm late"

Rosaleen looked up from her phone and said "Good morning. Running late today?"

"Yeah, it was hectic last night"

Piping up Lilac said comfortingly, "Don't worry about it, we'll still make it"

Once Finn saw that I was in, he banged his fist lightly on the hood of the car telling the girls that we were about to leave. He then ran around to the driver's side and hoisted himself into his seat with ease. 

With a smile, I buckled my seat and just in time too as he jolted the Jeep into action. The Jeep sped out of the pack; dirt clouds left behind in our wake. The car ride was very short since Finn stayed true to his word and got us to school just before the gate closed behind us.

Looking up from her phone Rosaleen turned to peek out the back window just in time to see the gate closing. With a questioning look she asked, "I didn't know that there was a gate. What is its purpose?"

In response Finn said, "Oh, yeah. You probably didn't notice the gate yesterday since we were early."

My cheeks warmed a little at his response since I am the reason as to why we were almost late to school. I'll have to make sure I'm not late tomorrow.

Turning around, Lilac said, "The gate isn't really seen since it comes out of the stone pillars and guards the whole school and not just the entrance. Apparently, it was installed as an incentive to not be late since you have to ask the gatekeeper to open the gate."

Chiming in, Finn said in a deep voice, "Not only that, it is also used to keep out wanderers and those not wanted. It's said to have a spell casted by a wizard to keep us safe."

"Huh, I guess I never thought that this school would need that much protection," I quietly said as I looked out the window. We were the last car let inside before the gate closed with a thud.

Turning away from the window, I looked ahead and saw Finn looking at me through his rear view mirror. He watched as I flipped through pages of the history book. I thought I might as well read it in the car even if it is a short ride. 

Curiously he asked, "Who would assign reading on the first day of school."

"Apparently my history teacher," I said half heartedly.

Chuckling at my gloomy mood, Finn pulled into a parking spot the farthest from the school's entrance. Since we are late today, I will have to jog to my locker. As if reading my mind, the 3 minute bell rang out as if mocking me.

Rosaleen screeched about not wanting to be late and slammed the door before saying a quick goodbye and ran towards the entrance. Lilac followed in pursuit and raced Rosaleen to the entrance.

Quickly closing the zipper with the history book, I got out and shut the door before jogging into the school. Finn locked the door and stayed by me as I went into the school at a slower pace than the girls.

Looking around, I saw a couple of other students rushing inside too. I guess we weren't the only ones late. Once at my locker, I quickly threw my backpack in and grabbed my stuff for the first period. 

Finn already said goodbye in a hurry to his first class. Once I had everything in my backpack, I booked it to my classroom and got in just as the bell rang.