revamped part 9

She didn't know if it was fear or shame that caused her to hesitantly approach her mother. While contemplating all that could go wrong, all the things that she never said to her, all the times she took her for granted, Brian nudged her shoulder. "You want your wallet back?" He asked. His voice was politely quiet in the presence of her mother. She snatched it back from him, wondering when she'll get the rest of her purse. Brian patiently waited for her to approach her mother, but minutes passed of (Y/N) looking anxiously, as if her sleeping mother judged her beyond her closed eyes. He sighed, grabbing her hand gently. She shook his calm grip but he squeezed her damp palms, walking slowly over to the bed of her mother. Her legs ached as they approached, like the judgment of God looking down upon her. Her mother laid with tubes running into her nostrils and IVs in her arm. She had burn marks up and down her legs, she was not covered by a blanket, just the thin scrubs she wore. Her breath hitched as her heart crumbled, tears formed in her eyes but she did not want them to break in front of the man she was with. Her lip trembled, in her mind she only whispered, 'I'm sorry, I'm sorry.'

Brian noticed the girl's glassy eyes and felt a pang of.. Remorse? His chest tightened a bit and he became uncomfortable with himself. All of the people he'd hurt, all the years of running games and running for his life, he'd lost his capacity to empathize. But seeing those sad (e/c) eyes, he wished he could take her into a hug, stroke her hair.. These ideas and feelings were too much. He let go of her hand, stepping back and crossing his arms. He gripped into his forearms with his fingers before pulling out his burner phone. Where was Tim, anyway?

(Y/N) gently laid her now freed hand onto her mother's, seeing the resemblance in their fingers, although hers were wrinkled with age. Before she knew it, her mother's eyes were fighting to open, her mouth now agaped. "Mom?" She asked. A new anxiety washed over her body. The older woman looked at her daughter with strange eyes.

"Who are you?" Her mother asked with a quiet voice, unlike herself.
"Mom, its me. It's (Y/N). I'm so sorry, mom. I was so worried."
"Who is (Y/N)?" Her mother asked. She had adopted a child-like voice, her eyes glazed with a misty confusion.

Brian recognized this amnesia. If he didn't feel bad for (Y/N) yet, now was the time his chest crumbled for her. He watched the girl try to convince her mother of who she was but to no success. (Y/N) became silently hysterical, under the pressure of the thick air.

"Mom, I love you. I've never said that to you before. We were never close. I wish that was different. I miss you. I'm so sorry."

"Doctor? Hello?" Her mother pressed the button on her stretcher to alert a nurse.

"You don't remember me? Really?" She asked demandingly, her voice growing louder. Brian saw her hands grip the end of the stretcher and he cautiously put a hand on her shoulder. She pushed him off, tears now streaming down her face, running out of the room. The lights flickered in the hospital, they were on the second to last floor. Brian could hear faint sobs as she stormed off down the dark hallway. He looked at the nurse coming down the hallway approaching her mother's room and he ran to follow the crying girl. He opened a door leading to a dark staircase, only the illuminating green light from the exit sign giving him a line of vision. "(Y/N)?" He hadn't felt scared in a long time. He knew this was not the right time for her to disappear. He ran down the steps, yelling her name. His chest tightened as his head pounded. She couldn't be gone. Not yet. He'd just started to get under the comfortability of her skin. He'd just started to feel-

He heard a static and now tears ran down his face as he ran, screaming her name.

short chapter sorry but i have work (crying and sobbing and vomiting)