CHAPTER 6

(this'll be focusing more on Brian/Hoodie, whatever the hell you wanna call the dude)

  The clock on the dingy car read 5:19, the morning sun barely rising yet. Fortunately, the girl really fell asleep, unknown to the men. Brian had switched from sleeping to driving, and Tim laid in the backseat, one hand behind his head, making a weak pillow, while the other lay on his stomach. Uncomfortable, he made the best out of the two window seats and middle seat. Brian felt still tired, sleeping in a car really did do a number on your back.
But, of coarse, he knew this. This wasn't the first time the two partners in crime fled the state. He just wished he didn't have to drive nights, he really just enjoyed sleeping.
His "living" (he couldn't say living for sure. This wasn't living, it was surviving) style made him a nocturnal person; well, really, they got as much sleep as they could. Either that be the day, the night, the morning, they took all their chances on a good nap.
Most nights paranoia and fear ate up at Brian. He remembered his college days, where he'd mess around with friends and play football (unprofessionally, he was too shy, believe it or not) with his buddies and all. He missed those days. It's an understatement, saying life was hell. Life was like constantly fighting for mediocrity, getting bloody for no reason. Running without reaching anywhere. Either way, he'd always be running, getting nowhere, hiding, always getting caught.
He took a turn, the roads were empty mostly, it being 5 AM few were up for their jobs and such.
He remembered when he had a job. Working at a busy pizza shop, he'd still had his uniform somewhere. It was a red shirt with a stereotypical, fat Italian dude with a black mustache, an apron, and a hot and ready pizza in his hands. He got little to no pay, but he was happy. It was one of the best times in his life, where he could smile with no sarcasm or have to force it when cops walked by. Life was bitter, empty, tiring. So, so tiring; he wondered why he still ran. Apart of him ever wondered if him and Tim would end up somewhere, far, far away from that thing. That monster. That hideous, terrible, evil thing that ate up his innocence, time and happiness. He fucking hated it. He fucking hated all of it. He fucking everything. And he had more of a good reason to hate life than most.
He looked at the girl, watching her sleeping body. He pulled into a gas station, but didn't leave the car yet. He wondered if the girl would change it.
He'd always been a lady's man, believe it or not. He was a momma's boy too, and he wasn't afraid to admit it. He always treated women different than men, not because he thought he was higher or lower than them, just because he liked them. And a lot.
To him, girls were somewhat of a reward. He knew it sounded misogynistic and creepy, but he really felt that a good hug or kiss from a girl could get any hetero man going. Surely it did for him!
It wasn't all women; just some in particular. Like (Y/N). He knew (Y/N) could practically destroy his entire life if she tried, or made him head over heals. He was aware of a woman's power, and that's why he loved them. They're powerful, not weak and simple damsels. That's why he admired (Y/N). She was tough, he'd been watching her closer than Tim comprehended.
Tim underestimated him all the damned time, but Brian knew what he was doing. He also knew, (Y/N) was a good actress..
He rolled down the window with a cranker (yes, the car was that old) and left the car.
He walked away, heading for the store.
The girl sat up, checking her surroundings.
'He's gone,' she thought. Looking back, she was a sleeping Masky. She felt her heart skip a beat (in fear) as she breathed heavily, scanning the area. She noticed they were in a gas station, then, she heard a noise.
"So, how long were you awake for me and Masky's talk?"
She shrieked, staring at the man with wide eyes. She sighed, staring out.
"'Bout to the part where he said you were just using me to get to... Alex, or something," she at up. "And the part where you said you'd kill me after you were done with me."
Hoodie slipped into the car, hands on his lap. He gave a smile. "Well, sweetheart, I was just trying to get a rile out of Masky. You're apart of the team-"
"Don't even start with that!" She yelled, eyes narrowed. Masky shifted in his seat. "First, you guys drug me, and then admit you're using me, and plan to kill me afterwards," Hoodie tried to object, but was cut off. "I can't believe I was an idiot. All I wanted to do was find that fucking kid Sam, and make his mom stop bitching and crying because I felt so bad and was the only person that was going to help her. You two were my only hope, but I now know that my aspirations of trying to fucking help are all going down the drain. Then, I had to listen to you creeps bloat about some fucking crushes you had on me? I'd a just walk home now if I could but I CAN'T, because now I'm being fucking followed by some fucking monster creepier than the both of you!" By now, tears were streaming down her face, fists balled up. Hoodie stared at her, eyes wide as his hands gripped weakly to the steering wheel. "I need some air," she said dryly as she slipped out of the car. Hoodie sat there, still staring. His heart beat was racing, his emotions riled up as he felt guilt smother him. He felt like crying, but for fucking what? Because, he made her cry, and that alone made him crumble on the inside.
She leaned against the roof of the car, trying to decrease her tears and slow her breathing down. In, and out; something she'd learn to do long ago. She was tough, tough girls just didn't cry.
Hoodie exited the car slowly, clasping his hands together awkwardly as he leaned against the car next to her.
"What do you want?" She asked bitterly.
"A lot of things, one of them being a new car instead of this piece of shit Masky pinned us with," he admitted, in attempts to make her laugh. He stared at her, but she wasn't budging. He scooted slightly closer to her, throwing his arm casually and quietly next to her, on top of the black, old car. "But right now, I would really like for you to be.. uhmm, happy? I don't know, to not be pissed at us," he said.
"Yeah, well, when you're stuck with a bunch of sociopaths that are planning to kill you, you're gonna be fucking upset," she replied with.
Brian narrowed his eyes. "We're not going to kill you,"
"Oh, suddenly you're not going to. Even though, a few hours before, you said you were going to. It's either you're terribly indecisive, or a compulsive liar, or both."
"Or, just an asshole, trying to get on Masky's nerves?"
"Oh look, something you won't fuck up for once." Hoodie smiled bitterly and nodded.
"I'll accept that," he said, "because it's sort of true."
"Sort of?" She asked, and he chuckled.
"I'm good at forging handwriting."
"And, what's that good for?"
"A lot of things," he replied quickly. "But, seriously. We're not going to kill you. Although, I'm pretty sure Masky-the-man is crushing on you," she scoffed.
"Him, out of all people? The guy who chucked my phone off a bridge, into the sea? You sure?" She asked.
"He did that?" She nodded at his question. "That ass!" He sighed, quietly getting closer to her. His heart beat raced faster as he felt something swirl in his stomach. She smelled like, really good. She started crying again, and he felt confused.
"W-wait, why are you crying?"
"I-I don't know," she said, wiping her tears. "I can't help it. I'm supposed to be tough- but tough girls don't cry," Hoodie scoffed and rolled his eyes.
"Sweetheart, you're one of the toughest girls I've met, but trust me, you're more emotional than a 6 year old on anti-depressants. I've seen you cry, like, 4 times already." (Y/N) laughed, and he smiled brightly. "See? You're crying and laughing- which is- strange," his smile faltered into a confused one, tilting his head.
'Women,' he thought. She wiped her tears, her dark bags now emphasized. "Now, c'mere and give your buddy Hoodsterz a biiggg hug," he said, his hear racing and cheeks blushing harshly. He figured she wouldn't notice it, either.
She glared. "No.."
He gasped. "Ahh- please?!" He cried,  feeling of rejection hitting him. She shifted uncomfortably, considering she still sort of hated him, and was.. really scared of him.
"O-okay," she said, arms out. He wrapped her into a tight, warm hug. Her face was pressed into his cold neck, the hood brushing her face, getting a smell of smoke and fire on him. An odd smell of a hospital, too. She felt her heart rate pick up in fear, why was he hugging her? Why did he want to hug her? None of it really added up in her mind, but she noticed his heart beating, and rather fastly. She was frightened, but felt... a little safe. She felt way more comfortable with Hoodie than she did with Masky, it was like he was more welcoming, yet sinister and violent. It all confused her.
Hoodie, on the other hand, was melting. And melting rather quickly. His head leaned against her's, his eyes wide open with a weird smile on his face. He felt like everything in his body was turning and moving, like his heart was being filled with... something. With warmth. It was one of the warmest, humane things he's felt in almost years now. He couldn't get enough of her warmth and touch, not to mention the oddly sweet smell. He felt such strong, unbearable emotions. He hated it, but he couldn't help but melt.
Now, being in a tight hug for about 5 seconds, he was completely enchanted with the young girl. She, on the other hand, felt very odd, and awkward. It was like he needed the hug. Jesus Christ, what was up with these bastards? One minute, craving affection and warmth, other minute taunting her. It was like a sick game.
She figured he probably did need the hug, so she just stood there, frozen. He on the other hand, felt like he was going to collapse in a pile and melt with her. It was so incredibly strange.
He pulled away, but his hands slid to her face. Her stomach dropped. He was NOT kissing her.
She noticed the size of his eyes, and the way he looked almost hypnotized.
"I've never had a hug like that and you're so odd," he said out loud. She awkwardly thanked him, and tried to get out of his grip.
"We should go, Hoodie," he interrupted her.
"Brian," he said. "My names' Brian." She stopped, and nodded. It made so much more sense!
"You know, it would probably be best if Masky drove, Hood- Brian," she said, avoiding his eye contact.
"Yeah," he responded, moving away, and awkwardly coughing. "It would."