CHAPTER 16

In the car, the girl laid in the backseat with Brian laying on the opposite side of her. Their legs touched, but she was too tired to care. Her legs were draped over his knees, tired, missing Moman and worrying for him, but overall? Tired.
"You think Moman will be okay?" She asked.
"I think he'll be okay. Will seemed to be a nice guy. Stopped drinking and everything." Tim said, a cigarette in his mouth as he drove. The window was open so he could blow smoke out, making (Y/N) cold, and wrap her arms around herself.
She took off the leather jacket, the leather irritating her sleeping position. She laid it on the ground, next to Tim's seat.
"Damn, hotstuff, you look really different," Brian admitted. "Like the haircut I get. But your eyes.. freaking me out."
She rolled her now newly coloured eyes and sighed. "It's for the greater good. Honestly, I liked my old colour."
(Let me brag- my eyes are green, I'm apart of the 1%. They also change to like a goldish green so 👌👌)

"Well, as long as you aren't recognised, then we'll be fine." Tim stated, eyes on the road.
"Yeah, I guess so." She sighed, piecing her hair with her fingers. It just felt so weird to her.
Then they heard it. The police sirens.
"Shit!" Tim muttered, eyeing behind him. They weren't far behind him, but not close enough yet. Sadly, there was no way they could lose them at the given time.
The two in the back immediately straightened out, buckling their seatbelts and acting "normal". The officer came behind their car, and they all pulled over.
One of the very useful conversations the girl had with her father was how to speak to a police officer and what to do when they pulled you over.
"Don't ask questions. Do whatever they say. Don't​ you ever, EVER speak disrespectfully. You'll get shot, understood? Always make sure they see your hands," her father told her. "That's the most important part."

She sighed. Shit. Hopefully the new change in everything will disguise her enough- she hoped.
The officer's heavy footsteps seemed to take forever to reach Tim's window. Brian leaned against the window, pretending he was asleep. Brian was a brilliant actor; there was no doubt he was convincing.
He knocked on the window, and Tim rolled it down.
"Hello officer," Tim said with a sleepy grin. "How can I help you tonight?" Wow, both these guys were grade A actors. Tim's attitude went from "shut the fuck up before I shove my fist down your throat" to "hello sir, will that be mustard or ketchup on your burger?". She couldn't help but smile at his complete change in- well, everything- even his tone was different.
"Fine. Where are y'all coming from?" The officer was a skinny, white man probably coming from rural Texas. Those officers were the worst.
She never liked cops. To her, cops were never there for protection.
Tim spoke up. "We're coming from a hotel, a few cities away. We're heading east now." Tim smiled, tilting his head to the cop. "You know any hotels nearby? We're all really tired."
He asked, nudging his head over to Brian, who was "sleeping". The girl leaned her head innocently onto the back of Tim's head rest, looking up at the cop.
"Yeah, actually. In fact, a kid turned up just now. Dead."
The girl gasped, and Tim's eyes went wide.
"Oh my God, what happened?" She asked. "Was it... Was it a m-murder?" She asked obliviously. The cop sighed.
"Seems like it. So, you guys like, siblings, or.."
"The man in the backseat is my brother, and the young woman," Tim stated.
"My name is Celine." She said, smiling.
"Yeah, and I'm Sam. That's my brother, Roderick. Celine is my fiance."
(Y/N) played along, but was still kind of weirded out. All in all, it made sense. Why else would she be with them?
"Oh, congratulations. Where are you guys headed, though?"
Tim muttered a thank you, and "Celine" decided to play in.
"We're heading down to Washington see my parents together. We plan on staying there for a few days." The cop nodded, and then brought the flashlight down to his waist. The brightness finally left her, and her eyes began to adjust back to the darkness.
"Alright, folks, stay safe. There might be a killer on the loose. Keep that girlie of yours safe, Sam. Have a nice night, y'all."
The officer wobbled back into his car, and drove away.
"Finally, that fat, ugly, white pig is gone!" She yelled in relief. Brian laughed.
"Wow, you really do hate cops, don't you?" She squinted at him.
"Yeah, for fucks sake, who doesn't? Can't trust them." She replied, leaning back in her seat. She shivered. "Can I use one of your jackets?" She asked.
Tim and Brian immediately made eye contact, before Tim piped in.
"Yeah, use mine," he said, sliding it off. Brian interjected.
"Wait, why not just use mine? His has probably got like, blood on it, and the smell of utter sadness."
She paused.
"Hey, I'll just use both." Brian and Tim looked over at each other, and shrugged.
Fair is fair.
Brian lifted his brown hoodie over his head and slid it off, and tossed it to her. She slid it on, smelling his aftershave, and something like pleasant burnt wood. Tim passed his jacket to her and she laid it over herself. Tim's smell was memorable as odd as it sounded. Tim smelled like cigarettes, slightly like a doctor's office and the woods.
"Thanks," she said, "pals."
"No problem hotstuff," Brian said with a smile.
"Don't sweat it."
Well, as much as Tim didn't like Brian liking her, and vice versa, fair is fair. He didn't like sharing, though; but he'd sacrifice it for them. In reality, he knew there was no escaping it. The same could be said for Brian. They just had to go with it.
And her? She didn't know exactly how to feel. She knew she was spending practically God knows how long with them. They proven themselves to be trustworthy, and intelligent enough to get through odd jobs and weird scrapes. She trusted them, and she knew there was no deciding between them.
Fair is fair though, right?