CHAPTER 4

That night when she got home, she looked at the walls. She stared at the ceiling. It was 7:34, her father and mother were on the couch. Her sisters were in the kitchen, all minding their own business.

"Last time," she reminded herself, the feeling of melancholy looming over her. She cleared her throat, but got no attention.

She went up stairs and gathered her clothes, folding them and pushing them tightly into a book bag. She got her tooth brush, her sketch book, and a few personal things.

She sat on the bed, looking at her drawing for the last time. Feeling the softness of her blankets for the last time. She knew it was for the best. She knew she had to do this.

She coughed harshly, something she'd started to do more often. She set her boots down next to the black back pack she'd just packed.

Moving downstairs, she noticed her family sat quietly in the living room. She stared at them, but they didn't notice her.

Sighing deeply, she decided that she'd be normal for now. She sat next to her older sister on the couch, who laughed and showed her pictures on her phone. Her father was on the edge if falling asleep as her mother smoked a cigarette. Her little sisters laughed with each other.

She sat with her family for the last time.
This was the last time she'd have to deal with them. A part of her was always different, she knew that. She was never the same, never fully accepted. If she were to look at this out of the moment, she wouldn't think much of it... But in the moment, it hurt her. It was bittersweet. It wasn't a normal day in her family's home, no. A normal day would be chaotic, her having to stop her parents from fighting, hitting each other like children. She'd have to sing her baby sister to sleep as she cried, reminding her that she would be okay. She realised something. No one was going to do that when she left. She was the only one who had a stable ground. And when the stability leaves, when the ground is swept from under you, shit hits the fan, and things fall apart. And quick. Could she just go missing like that?
Masky's words reminded her that she needed to leave, though. It would be the only thing to protect them. Fuck being with them if she was only going to hurt them.
Her older sister tapped her cheek.
"You good, fam?" She asked with an expression of confusion on her face. The younger sister looked lazily up at her elder and nodded. "All good, homie."
Her sister nodded as she scrolled through her phone.
"Oh, shit, man. See the news?" (Y/N) glanced up at her again. "Another kid just went missing. Can you believe it? This town's just full of shit," she mucked. "You still playing detective?" Her sister laughed.
She nodded. "More than you think, man... More than you'd think."

12 AM rolled around, and so did (Y/N)'s feelings. Guilt stricken by leaving her family, but determined. You'd think she'd given up by now, but she hasn't.
She pulled on a black sweater, underneath it a black tanktop. Jeans, a leather belt, black combat boots and a leather jacket was what she decided to wear. She had her back pack slung over her shoulder as she silently edged down the stairs.
As soon as she hit the bottom step, her heart broke.
Her baby sister, who was 4, sat on the ground, surrounded in crayons and paper. She looked glumly up at her big sisters, tears in her eyes. "Don't go," she mumbled out. Her older sister stared at her in confusion and sadness.
She picked the little girl up and brought her to the sink, washing off the blue paint on her face and hands.
"I'm sorry, (L/S/N). I have to."
"Where are you going?" She asked.
"Away. Into the woods. You can't tell anyone, though; it's our secret." The little girl nodded and hugged her older sister.
"Will you be back?" The teen paused.
"You'll see me, soon enough. I promise." She hugged the girl back, giving her a kiss on the head. "I love you, okay? Don't forget that."
The little girl still cried as she sighed.
"I've got to be leaving now, (L/S/N), she admitted.
"Tuck me in," the girl asked. She nodded.
She brought her to the couch, laying her down. She brought the blankets up. "Snug, as a bug, in a rug," she tucked the ends on the blankets under the little girl's back, "With a kiss, and a hug," she finished, giving her both.
"Goodbye, (Y/N)," she said, in a tired fashion.
"Goodbye, (L/S/N)."

Shutting the door quietly behind her, she locked it with her home key, then turned to see the two men.
"That was real sweet, (Y/N). I thought you hated everything and everyone, but.. seems you got a soft spot for kids. I can respect that. You'd make a good mother-" Hoodie was cut off by a sharp elbow to his stomach.
Masky stared at her, nodding. "It was. But now, we're onto the more important matters. This is your life now."
They walked to a car, obviously, and probably stolen. Masky slipped into the front, Hoodie in the passenger's seat. She sat in the middle of the backseat.
masky turned to face her.
"Forget everything you cared for. Everything you loved. Everything you love," he said, pointing to her house. Her old house. "Forget it. It will only make things harder if you remember. Trust me." He let his hand drop. "You protect yourself and your comrades. No one else. You think strategically. And, if you're dead weight, you're dead. Literally." The girl nodded, and gulped.
For once, it was oddly silent. Awkward it was not; more, letting all the information sink into her. For once, Hoodie had no smart comebacks. Instead, he stared out the window, hand on his chin.

This was her life. Like it or not, she was protecting someone. Not just Masky and Hoodie, but her family. And that's what really mattered, right?
"(Y/N)," Masky said sternly.
"Yes?"
"You should probably get some sleep. I know Hoodie is."
"Yeaaahh, I am. Stop the vehicle!" He yelled. Masky stopped abruptly, nearly cussing his partner out. Hoodie stepped out of the car, and hopped into the back.
"Make room, girlie, me and you are gettin' comfortable," he said suggestively.
Masky glared at him through the mirror. "Do not touch her."
"Shut up, you buzzkill. I'm just trying to relax." He laid, looking quite comfortable for being in such a small, old car. "(Y/N), chillax. We're not here to kill you. You're one of us now," he said, throwing his hands behind his head. He slipped off his mask, reveling his face. She stopped and stared, eyes wide.
"What? Like what you see?" He asked. Masky took off his mask, placing it under the seat. She stared at Masky through the mirror, his brown eyes finally visible. It was apparent that they barely got any sleep, dark bags layered their eyes, their skin pale. She felt her cheeks warm as Masky glanced back at her through the rear view window. He stared back at her for a second, then continued to drive. Hoodie was already asleep, and she leaned against the window. Her eyes fluttered closed.

Yup. This was her life now.

I'M SO SORRY I HAVEN't UPDATED i"M A SINNER I KNOW

either way, i hoped you all liked this chapter. i tried to make it a little longer, due to the fact it's Christmas and i haven't updated in months, lol

comment, like and all that shit for more <3 thank you for all the support. I was really surprised tbh. cya <33