4

Buckingham Palace

To the east of the inner imperial palace, in a splendid palace chamber, dozens of palace maids and eunuchs hurried about. However, not a sound could be heard. 

Everyone muted their breaths. Even their footsteps were careful and controlled, in a manner of great trepidation...

"The Princess will stay, the rest of you are dismissed."

"As you wish your majesty..."

On a spacious bed with an intricately carved bed frame, lined with exquisite drapes, there lay a woman breathing weakly. She was the one who gave that order. Though her voice was very quiet, there was something about it that was difficult to defy.

"Mother..."

"Jennie, come. Sit by my side. Let me... have a good... look at you."

The woman on the bed was the kingdom's Queen, Diana Bridgerton.

Presently, she appeared frail and waning, but the unified strength in her presence had a lasting impression.

Her natural air of nobility made one dare not to underestimate her, as expected of someone considered the number one beauty of the kingdom twenty years ago.

Even though twenty years had hurried by, one could still see the remnants of a beauty that could overthrow cities from her face.

Jennie sat quietly by Diana's side. Looking at her mother who had gotten so dreadfully thin, tears trickled silently down her cheeks.

Seeing her daughter like this, Diana revealed a pale smile, "I've always been sick for the past few years... Before I could get a look at my little Princess, you're all grown up."

"M-Mother." Jennie gently picked up Diana's hand from where it rested on the brocade blanket, but she dared not to hold it with any force. She could feel the bones in Diana's hand, and every vessel of blood could be seen under her fair skin. This hand looked so fragile, as if it might shatter with one touch.

"Sweetie, do not feel sad for mother. I no longer have any regrets. I just worry for you and your brother... cough cough cough."

"Mother, you should summon the imperial doctor." Jennie held Diana's hand as big drops of tears spilled from the frame of her eyes. The tears traced past a face seven-parts similar to Diana, crashing onto the red brocade blanket. It vanished quickly into the cloth, leaving only a dark round spot, like a dried bloodstain.

"Silly child, don't you know about my health? Let us have some time together, as mother and daughter. I have something to say to you."

Jennie nodded, obeying Diana's decree. However, the spots of dark red on the brocade blanket were quickly increasing...

Diana's breathing turned labored. Her chest was rising and falling greatly, as if she was trying hard to bear the physical discomfort. Yet, it was also as if she was trying hard to persevere in something.

"Jennie, in the future... If you marry, remember to choose with your heart. I... believe in my daughter's eyes... Do not think too much about matters of marriage... You... dear child, it's hard to stop... worrying about you."

"Mm, I understand...mom."

"And, your younger brother. Your younger brother has poor health. It might actually be better... if he does not take that position. If he thinks so too, he should express that early... The Duke of Winterfell... is considerate, he'll defi... definitely not... cough cough..."

"M-Mother! I understand!"

"Reporting Her Majesty, the Crown Prince is here!"

Hearing the report of the palace maid outside, Diana's dim eyes brightened with a trace of light.