9

LISA

Time flew fast.

In the turn of an eye, it was already the season of the autumn harvest.

After this autumn, it would be the third year that I had entered the military camp.

The autumn harvest was the most important period in the year to the tens of thousands of families in the kingdom.

The result of the harvest determined the quality of life for the rest of the year.

The autumn harvest was also an important period to the court. The colossal base quota of the commoners was an important source of taxes.

The autumn harvest was equally important to the Huns. For the Huns who lived with long winters but had never cultivated their land, the 'spoils of war' that they attained during the autumn harvest directly determined their chances of making it through that long winter.

I held a spear in my hand while I carried the black bow that I had found from the weapon dump on my back.

A podao was also tied to my waist. I followed the troops that were moving camp, marching further into the back-lands of the kingdom's borders.

General Carl had decided to move the battlefront for nearly a hundred miles forwards, so as to provide greater buffer distance for the masses of the families behind us.

That would also signify that as a soldiers of the kingdom, we would be using our bodies of flesh and blood to create a barrier for the common people behind us.

Presently, everyone's faces were grave in the troops.

When this season arrived each year, the frontier guards of kingdom's northern border would have to face invasions that were even more ferocious than usual, and more frequently.

That was because the Huns needed to stock up on rations for the winter.

In this season, the Hun soldiers would have a fierce determination to never give up until their objective was achieved.

That was why this was also the season where the kingdom's soldiers would have the greatest casualties.

My period stopped coming. The danger of exposing my identity had been temporarily resolved.

However, my complexion had become terribly pale. I would also feel cold from time to time. There was a dark chill that spread out from within my body, which was a side-effect from ingesting the yaowang flower.

"Ai, have you heard?"

"Heard about what?"

"His Grace, the Duke of Tryon was attacked by assassins. To save him, Her Grace, the Duchess had blocked the sword with her body. Now she's dead."

"For real? I've heard that Her Grace was a first-rate beauty, truly a shame."

"Ai, this is like the second one, right? The previous Duchess of his had also died from assassins..."

"Do you think this Duke is a bad omen for wives...?"

"What's going on there!?" 

The pioneer officer who was passing by on a horse shouted once he heard whispering from the infantry soldier's troops.

The two chatting soldiers who were not far away from me shut their mouths at once.

The pioneer officer looked around sternly, then he spurred his horse and left. 

Under the sun, the vast and mighty army progressed deeper into the back-lands.

The sun was still harsh during the autumn, especially in a dry environment like the north.