62

Riding on Longleg, Lisa stopped on the wide streets of Fanli city.

She looked at the bustling crowds and stores that lined both sides of the street.

For the first time in her life, she felt truly insignificant.

Ever since she had left the military camp, ever since she had set an ambition for a life that was different from her original plan.

The more that Lisa encountered and experienced, the more she realized just how powerless and insignificant she was.

A daring and enthusiastic dream, the oath to rise up with military merit echoed by her ears.

The secret determination to be a protective umbrella for Jennie was still as fresh as it had been; but reality ruthlessly struck through Lisa's self-esteem and obstinance once again.

“I’ll keep watch here. Go to Muichiro in Huzhou city and take the Commander-in-Chief’s letter, I want to search Fanli city.”

“Young master… Maybe we should go back, Muichi might already have results on his side.”

Sitting on the saddle, Bambam stayed behind Lisa.

His present expressions were rather unusual, in a manner as if he could not sit easily.

Unfortunately, Lisa did not notice it.

“You just need to go. If there’s results over there, you can come back and inform me. Then we can return together.”

“Young master…”

“Go.” Lisa's back was hunched as she waved a hand, looking very tired.

“Ai!” Bambam opened his mouth, but he still heeded Lisa's orders by leaving in the end, leaving her by herself in Fanli city.

Lisa kept watch in Fanli city for five entire days. She left the door at dawn and returned when curfew arrived.

She focused surveillance on any large or bulky caravans that passed the city, but there were no results.

Bambam moved rather fast this time round.

The trip to and back took just a short five days; it must have been a continuous journey.

However, Gyomei came along with Bambam too. He brought a new letter from Carl.

When Gyomei delivered the letter to Lisa, he took a careful look at his Battalion Commander.

Lisa had gotten thinner in just a short period of time.

Lisa opened Carl's letter for a look, seeing only four words: Return to Yangguan immediately.

Gyomei observed Lisa's expression carefully, then he spoke up once Lisa put down Carl's letter: “Battalion Commander, the Commander-in-Chief wants us to bring you back.”

Lisa kept the letter in her chest calmly, then she said: “I’ve got it. Just wait for a moment, I’ll go and pack my things.”

“Battalion Commander, I’ve travelled quickly with Gyomei, so there should be enough buffering time. You should have a good rest today, let’s set off tomorrow instead.”

Bambam's eyes darted left and right when he talked. He did not dare to look at Lisa's haggard face.

“There’s no need. The Commander-in-Chief sent a letter for immediate return, so it’s pointless to delay for an extra day. Just give me a moment.”

Lisa began to pack her things as she spoke.

Fifteen minutes later, the three of them rode their horses out of Fanli city.