16

Change often comes without warning.

Another commotion had risen in the military camp.

For some reason, the newly promoted Battalion Commander Liam Manoban and Pioneer Commander Jackson Wang had been punished with twenty military strikes!

When the punishment was over, Jackson had someone carry him to Lisa's tent.

The two 'brothers' sprawled on the bed together, teeth gritted in pain.

Lisa looked at Jackson with some frustration, but when the two of them met each other's eyes, somehow, they started to laugh.

The hang-up between the two of them vanished like smoke among this unbridled laughter...

***

Next day...

LISA

I crawled up from the bed, then shuffled with great difficulty to a spot of empty ground.

Although my lower movement was impeded, that was no excuse to slack off.

I went to an empty ground with my two-stone bow, then ordered the archers under my command to set a target fifty paces away from me.

I was now a battalion commander after all, I did not have to settle with practicing on empty bows.

As long as I wanted it, someone would bring me batches of arrows to practice with.

"Battalion commander! These are the hundred arrows you asked for."

"Mm, just put it here. You can go do your own thing."

"Understood."

The archer set down the arrows, then he turned and left.

Staying in the same spot, I widened my stance with great effort, then picked up an arrow.

I nocked it, drew the bow, and aimed...

***

JENNIE

I decided to leave my tent early to avoid Kaizen's relentless chatter.

Following behind me were two soldiers— Uncle's personal guards, appointed to ensure my safety.

I strolled aimlessly in the military camp, hearing the shouts of training soldiers from time to time.

Suddenly, a dull and muffled 'thump' could be heard from a pillar not far away from me. An arrow had nailed itself into the wooden pillar.

The two soldiers turned alert at once, but a line of tents blocked our view. We could not see who was 'hiding' behind it.

Indifferent to the possible threat, I gestured for the soldiers to calm down.

From where I was standing, I could see that a target was positioned under the pillar.

I took a careful look.

I realized that there was already a good number of arrows on the pillar, and quite a few more were scattered around the target. However, the target itself remained empty. There was nothing on it at all.

My uncle's military camp never left room for slackers.

What kind of person would shoot arrows like this?

"Let us take a closer look." I asserted quietly, then walked towards the empty ground behind the tents.

The two soldiers walked protectively in front of me, stopping once they were near the front of the tents.

[L] To Me, The One Who Love Youजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें