54

The two seniors were startled when Armin  carried two baskets of hens as he followed Lisa into the couple’s broke courtyard. 

“This… This is…”

Leo stood up from the bench.

Ruby walked out from the kitchen too. She wiped the water from her hand as she walked, looking at Lisa with a shocked face.

“Mrs. Kim, this young man sure knows how to repay favors. He bought quite a number of hens from my place, I’ve brought it over for the two seniors first. My son will come and set up a coop for the two seniors later, it won’t take very long. The two seniors will now have eggs to eat every day! If you can’t finish them, you can take them to my place. We’ve been neighbors for so many years, I’ll count one zhu for twelve eggs as usual!”

“Sir, ma'am… Do you still remember me?”

“Of course, of course! Aren’t you that young lad who lent a night’s stay at our place some time ago!”

“Yes!”

“Mr. Kim!”

Lisa was just talking to the old couple when Erin pushed the bamboo fence’s gate open.

He walked in with a face full of smiles as he carried a sack of white rice.

“Ai! Erin, what are you…”

“Aiyo, Mr. Kim, I’m here to deliver your rations. I’ll bring a bucket first, I’ve just milled it! When you two seniors finish it, just send me a word. I’ll bring new rice! This young man has paid for two kilograms of rice, enough for you two seniors to eat for a year!”

Leo was stunned.

He watched as Armin put the two baskets of hens down properly, then he turned to walk out while smiling the whole while.

Then he watched as Erin carried that bucket of white rice into the kitchen.

He poured a waterfall of rice into the empty rice barrel.

Once Erin had left the courtyard too, Leo finally regained his senses.

His white beard was twitching as he grabbed on Lisa's arm, extremely moved: “You young lad, what are you doing! Us two seniors just let you stayed the night, how could it be worth such a big repayment!”

Lisa smiled shyly. She did not answer.

Ruby walked over too.

She wiped her tears with dry and coarse hands, then she said vehemently: “Young lad, you have such a good heart. Don’t go today, stay and have dinner together. Our home doesn’t have anything good, I hope you don’t mind.”

“Yes yes yes, don’t go today. The day is getting late, just stay here tonight!”

Lisa raised her head to look at the sky, then she nodded: “Then I’ll trouble the two seniors.”

“You young lad, it should be us old things thanking you!”

The cleverest housewife couldn’t cook without rice.

Now that there’s rice, they couldn’t not have any dishes.

Lisa had settled their year of rations. Although they were poor, they shouldn’t be stingy.

Thinking it through, Ruby went to Armin's house to lend some chicken eggs without discussing it with Leo.

Ruby had just wanted to borrow two to fry them just for Liam, but Armin laughed cheerily: “Mrs. Kim, how could two eggs be enough!”