21

The bulky soldier was no muddle-headed man. Despite his bulky appearance, his intentions were quite well thought out.

He was already strong enough to draw a two-stone bow, but he had been punished for secretly drinking wine, causing him to miss the chance to apply for battalion commander.

Though, what he saw today assured him that Lisa's promotion was well-deserved, and he couldn't compare.

Still, he wanted to use this chance to show Lisa what he could do.

He had heard that Lisa started out from the infantry— he wasn't even a troop leader before this.

He felt certain that Lisa had no personal guards at all. If he could prove himself to the young battalion commander, he might even end up as a personal guard, and if Lisa starts soaring through the ranks, he'll be able to reach the skies alongside him...

The bulky soldier widened his stance. He raised the bow, nocked an arrow, then he took a deep breath. The muscles on his forearm bulged up at once, and the black bow was slowly drawn open...

He sweated internally, thinking it strange. He had drawn a two-stone bow before, but it did not take this much effort.

Even so, he did not disappoint the crowd's expectations.

He drew the black bow to its fullest, but it was done without the ease and speed that Lisa displayed.

It would not be practical on the battlefield at all.

The bulky soldier released his grip, and the arrow whistled through the air. Under everyone's attention, it missed the target...

Everyone stared at the empty target in astonishment.

A peculiar quiet enveloped the scene.

Lisa, on the other hand, appeared unaffected by this result. She patted the soldier's arm with a curve to her lips, then she took back her black bow and said: "Not bad, what is your name?"

Hearing that, the bulky soldier's face turned into a vivid red.

Huffing and puffing, he stared ahead for a long while before he could finally turn towards Lisa and grumble: "Please don't ask, battalion commander. This lowly one has no face to say it, it'll humiliate my ancestors!"

Lisa assured him with a smile: "No, there wasn't anything wrong with you, it was my fault for not explaining it clearly beforehand. This bow originally belonged to the Commander-in-Chief. He discarded it because it had lost its accuracy. I found it in the weapons dump by accident, and the Commander-in-Chief granted it to me later on. I found the bowstring to be too precious to throw away, so I've been using it all this time. It's a powerful bow. It works fine in short distances, but it becomes inaccurate for long distance shots if you use it without knowing its offset. Being able to draw this bow already proves that you are capable."

Hearing that, the soldier's expression looked much better.

He gave Lisa a respectful courtesy with his hands and said: "This lowly one is Gyomei."

Delighted to see Lisa nod in response, he continued: "Battalion commander, this bow is not a standard two-stone bow. Just to let you know, this lowly one is from generations of military men, and all of my ancestors have been archers. My grandfather has also been the battalion commander of the Flying-Feather battalion before. I've drawn two-stone bows, but it didn't take as much effort as this one. In my opinion, this bow is tougher than a two-stone bow, but not enough to be a three-stone bow. Battalion commander, you were actually able to draw a bow this tough a hundred times with ease! This lowly one gladly admits defeat. Perhaps not even this lowly one's grandfather can do it the way you did."