71

The loyal and devoted Suga had taken Joy's suggestion seriously indeed; he made it his first priority.

Without Lisa's knowledge, he secretly used her eight numbers of birth to find a good number of ladies who had well-matched numbers, then he made a name list for Lisa to consider…

However, when Lisa who usually treated servants quite well saw this name list, she threw a temper for the first time.

She called over everyone in the residence, then she sternly declared, “This must never happen again in my residence.”

And so, no one in the residence ‘worried’ for Lisa's marital status anymore…

As all of the matchmakers were sent away from the door without exception, the entire ‘matchmaker industry’ of Yangguan city knew that the Manoban residence was not a good job to take.

Whenever people sought them to matchmake at the Manoban residence, they would refuse.

And to prove that it was not because they weren’t capable enough, they would add in some words while they made their rejection: “Aiyaya~ don't just see that the Manoban residence is a good place and send your daughter there in a hurry. That Master Manoban is impotent, if you sent her there, she’ll have to keep her chastity…”

Eventually, matchmakers stopped going to the Manoban residence, while Lisa's impotence became a well-known ‘secret’ with most of the Yangguan citizens…

***

It was day.

Lisa came to Carl's big tent as usual...

“Commander-in-Chief, all of the new soldiers have been registered, everything has been arranged.”

As she said that, Lisa presented a thick book with both hands to Carl.

“Mm.” Carl received the name register, but he did not browse through it. He simply placed it on the desk.

“Move a chair over and sit.”

“Understood.” Lisa moved a chair over, then she sat upright before Carl.

Carl studied Lisa.

After a good while of silence, he finally spoke with some deliberation: “This old man… heard some rumors in Yangguan city recently… Have you heard of it?”

Lisa nodded, then she answered indifferently: “The ones related to this officer? It has been heard.”

“Mm… You should be seventeen this year, if this old man remembered correctly.”

“The Commander-in-Chief is right.”

“As a good big man, those meant for making a family will still have to make it eventually.”

Hearing this, Lisa gave a slight smile towards Carl.

She gave a courtesy with her hands as she answered firmly: “How could one make a family when the Huns have yet to be exterminated?”

Hearing this, Carl burst with a chain of hearty laughter.

Following that, he smiled at Lisa as he said: “For such a young brat like you, your ambition is quite big. Even this old man had only made an oath to protect this border, yet you actually want to exterminate the Huns?”

“Yes! Exterminate the Huns, to eliminate future suffering.”

Seeing that Lisa did not seem to be joking with him, Carl's expression turned melancholic.

He sighed straight from the heart, then he opened his mouth to say: “The Huns occupy vast grassy plains of the north, they are formed with many tribes. As nomads, they have no fixed settlements. The Huns have already existed when our Kingdom was founded. For so many years since, so many loyal officials and strong Generals invested their whole lives in this northern border, yet none of them have truly solved the problem of the Huns. This old man is relieved that you can say those words, but you must know this. If every young man in the northern border thought like you, wouldn’t our army have no successors? At your age, the ones who are meant to marry will eventually have to marry. If you do not wish to marry a legitimate wife for now, it’s fine to take in a few concubines too. That’s settled then. This old man will also help you to keep a lookout.”