23

KAIZEN

My tent had already been refurbished by my servants. 

At the moment, I was standing with my arms stretched, allowing a maid to dress me.

"Sir, this lowly one has something to report."

"Come in."

The maid secured a belt inlaid with jade around my waist, attaching it with a perfume sachet and a loop of jade.

I lowered my head to check my outfit, then dismissed the maid with a wave of my hand.

The maid gave her salutations deeply, then she backed out of the tent in a bowed posture.

"What is it?"

"Sir!" The person who entered opened his mouth with the intention to report, but he stopped himself as he feared that there may be ears on the wall. 

He took a few steps closer to me, then he reported in a volume that only the two of us could hear: "Sir, this lowly one has been monitoring that place under your orders. Liam left his tent as usual to go to the Flying-Feather barracks for practice thirteen minutes earlier, completely unharmed..."

"Hm?" I frowned when I heard such news. 

"What about the people we sent?" I asked with displeasure.

He looked at me with a troubled expression, hesitating to speak.

"What's taking you so long to report?"

"Apologies... Sir, when this lowly one saw Liam leaving his tent in one piece, this lowly one sent our people to search for the two who were responsible for the mission. It took a long time, but we ended up finding two corpses in the forest ten miles from the military camp. We aren't able to determine if they are our people yet..."

"What do you mean?"

"Because... Because, those two corpses do not have their heads. Sir brute instructed them to be careful, so they did not carry anything on them that could prove their identity. This lowly one has already asked a few people who are familiar with them to check, perhaps..."

Hearing this, I flew into a rage. 

I kicked the bodyguard down as I roared furiously: "Useless trash!"

Then I strode forward and stomped on the curled up figure a few times. 

Clenching my fists, I growled in a hushed voice: "Useless trash! You're all good-for-nothing! Can't even do something so simple— They're both dead, so why are you still alive? Useless trash!"

I started kicking the person on the floor again, speaking all the while: "How can I expect anything from a bunch of useless trash like you? They killed two of our people right under your noses, and you didn't know anything about it? If they wanted my head, would I have lost my head by now? Useless trash! Raising a bunch of dogs would be better than raising you all!"

The person on the floor dared not to speak for himself, even when blood ran down his nose and mouth. He waited until I stopped, then he crawled up from the floor, prostrating himself instead. 

He knocked his forehead on the floor desperately, too afraid to even beg for mercy.

I had vented enough. 

I stood there, catching my breath, but my mind was working quickly. 

General Carl Windsor...

"Forget it. You may go now. Deal with the corpses properly."

"Thank you, thank you...S-Sir."

That person backed out of the tent as if he had been granted amnesty.