18

Lisa walked at a slow pace with a black bow on her back, and Jennie by her side.

One dressed in plain and practical clothes, with tanned skin and a tall, skinny figure.

One dressed in splendid silks, with fair skin and a graceful, lithe figure.

Any bystander observing the two of them would consider them an unlikely pair.

However, the usually quiet Lisa had actually taken up the role of showing Jennie around the camp.

On the other hand, a faint smile stayed on Jennie's face as she listened attentively to Lisa, who was introducing her to various matters within the military camp.

"This is the infantry soldier's camp. I've stayed here before, and the conditions for infantry soldiers are relatively poor. One tent houses three units each."

Jennie asked quietly: "Why do the conditions for infantry soldiers differ so much from the cavalry?"

Lisa thought for a moment, then she answered: "It's because an infantry soldier does not need very long to train, and the bar for them is very low. The cavalry requires a longer time to train, and horses are precious. They are also the most important battle forces for the kingdom, that's why the cavalry receive much better treatment than the infantry soldiers. To be honest..."

Lisa couldn't understand why, but Jennie's gentle voice made her feel so at ease that she had actually dropped her guard— she was starting to talk endlessly without any reservations.

It was only when she realized that she was about to 'say too much' that she finally forced herself to stop.

Jennie was working to find out Lisa's true levels in intellect, how could she let her stop there?

And so, she laughed quietly: "Please feel free to speak your mind, Battalion Commander. I will simply treat it as a secret between us."

Hearing this from Jennie, a tender feeling rose within Lisa's heart once again.

Jennie gave off a presence that was entirely different from the military camp.

It was something noble, yet somewhat soft. Every word and every smile from her slipped through Lisa's sturdy defenses like gentle spring waters, causing someone as guarded and wary as Lisa to believe her, just like that.

Lisa continued: "To be honest, I think that the infantry soldiers deserve better treatment, because the infantry is the division with the highest death rate in the military. The Commander-in-Chief's preferred formation is to employ the infantry at the frontlines and two flanks of cavalry on each side to wrap things up. Facing the Huns who are mostly on horseback, the infantry ends up with a very high number of casualties. And it is exactly because the infantry soldiers charge at the front, fighting with their lives on the line, that the cavalry has a greater chance of survival. It also puts the cavalry into good use."

Once she was done saying that, Lisa scratched her head with some embarrassment.

Though Jennie listened passively, she was forming a more detailed impression of Lisa in her mind.

"Life in the military camp seems so monotonous. Do you have any hobbies or interests?"

Jennie looked towards Lisa as she threw out an 'important' question, in a way that seemed unintentional.

Be it money, power, women, or anything weird; as long as Lisa liked it, Jennie could find a way to win Lisa over...

Surprisingly, Lisa gave her question some serious thought. In the end, she answered earnestly: "No."