67

Beyond the bamboo grove, several peach trees are in bloom; the river is warming up, and the ducks are the first to know.

Beach wormwood is teeming, the asparagus just sprouting; it was just the season when the pufferfish are coming upstream.

In the blink of an eye, winter had already passed...

Even the bitterly cold northern border had welcomed the life of spring.

The ice broke, the snow melted, and the land had returned to spring.

Carl's army passed a harsh and freezing winter peacefully.

The south wind brushed by, and tender fresh grass gradually peaked through the earth.

Carl's troops have also vacated from Yangguan city before the end of winter.

They moved to a camp no more than fifty miles away from Yangguan city's bounds.

As for the Yangguan locals who had temporarily given up their residential space, Carl brought out compensation money from his own fiefs; he had his bodyguards lead people with them to send it to the locals from door to door.

All of the locals who received compensation money praised Carl for truly being an example in righteous benevolence.

This matter could count as satisfying for everyone all round.

On the lantern festival of Twenty-ninth Year, Jieun and Jackson became family.

Under the witness of Lisa and many comrades, in the small residence of Jackson's, he married his bride.

On the night where Jackson got married, unable to hold his liquor, he got completely drunk.

He hugged Lisa's arm, not letting go no matter what, and he cried as he said to her: "Buddy, this junior entered the army at fourteen. If it wasn't for you saving me on the battlefield so many times, I'd have died a long time ago. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have become this Pioneer Commander. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't be able to marry such a good lady like Jieun. Buddy, you don't have to worry... You are my real brother. If I have a son one day, I'll definitely give you one... You and me are brothers forever, forever..."

Lisa was also very moved by Jackson's words. She thought back to the times since she enlisted.

Three years have swung by so quickly, scene after scene played back before her eyes.

At last, Jackson passed out drunk, and his two bodyguards carried him back to the bride's room.

As for the people that remained, they kept drinking as they beat out a rhythm and sang.

A powerful army song that carried a tone of bleakness unique to the northern border reverberated in Jackson's small residence...

On the other side, ever since Lisa had received 'Theories of Garrison of the Frontier' from someone sent by Jennie, she was 'reborn' entirely.

She no longer focused on how many Huns she killed, she had also stopped over-thinking individual combat or to madly train herself.

Whenever she had free time from operations or training, she would take this book out for a read instead.

Whenever she reached a part that she could not understand, she would ponder over it by herself first.

If she could not get through it, she'd go to Carl's big tent to humbly ask for guidance from him.

Carl was taken aback when he first saw this book of 'Theory of Garrison of the Frontier' that was written by his father.

Carl had no heir. When he held this book, he looked at Lisa for a good while. He secretly came to a decision.

Carl patiently explained the theories from this book to Lisa.

Lisa wasn't just studious; she also knew to achieve a thorough understanding of the subject.

After some time, Lisa started to have tactical evaluations with Carl on the sandbox, and she occasionally said things that benefitted Carl.

Carl was pleasantly surprised with Lisa.

***

Year Twenty-nine.

Lisa was now seventeen.

On her third year of enlisting under Carl's command, with a thousand land rights in fiefs, she was promoted to Pioneer Commander...

Ever since she was promoted to Pioneer Commander, Lisa's off days had been raised to four days.

Presently, it was the middle of spring, the season where Huns would put livestock out to pasture. Hence there were rarely any attacks.

Today was her off period, and because the military camp was less than fifty miles away from Yangguan city, she would come to her residence in Yangguan city whenever she was off duty.

To her, this place was the safest.

She could have a good bath, and she could change her chest binding cloth...

Lisa has just finished washing. She had put on her clothes, and she was drying her hair with a towel when the sound of knocking came.

"Master, this servant has made some pastries with Yeji. Would the master wish for a taste?"

Lisa checked her appearance, then she put down the towel as she answered: "Come in."

Following the sound of a door opening, a woman dressed in servant girl's clothes walked in smiling pleasantly while presenting two plates of pastries in a tray.

Lisa looked at this servant girl before her.

On a day of heavy snowfall in the winter of last, an orphaned woman came to Yangguan city, but she failed in her search for relatives.

Cold and starving, she fainted before Lisa's gates.

Luckily, Jieun found her, and she saved her.

Jieun was a healer after all. She was a doctor who had the heart of a parent, so she wanted to see this young woman back to health.

Lisa had many rooms in her residence.

Jieun pleaded Lisa to allow a place for this lady in the residence.

After that, Lisa sent someone for a check.

The distant uncle that this unfortunate lady tried to find had already died two years ago.

Lisa looked at this person crying and pleading before her eyes.

Without a solution, she had to keep her for now, and think of something in the future.

Just like that, the Manoban residence had a new servant girl.

There was quite a coincidence too.

This servant girl wasn't just saved by Jieun, the two got along very well when she recovered.

She was called: Joy...

===========