5

With a deafening roar, infantry soldiers of the kingdom charged out of the military camp. Once the entire infantry was out on the field, despite collectively racing ahead, each troop of infantry soldiers had tacitly formed an attack formation!

The sound of arrows whistling through air passed by my ears from time to time. Even if the archers on the barrack wall could disperse the Huns' forces, there were still more than a few fallen people in my way. 

Running through the dense rain of arrows, I brushed shoulders with the god of death again and again.

The ground tremors were intensifying. The thunderous horse hooves were kicking up clouds of dust. 

Closer, they were getting even closer!

"Ah!" 

Dreadful shouts rang all around. In just one moment, the Hun cavalry and the kingdom's infantry soldiers have already completed the first clash of the battle.

For the first round, I did not join the majority of soldiers in charging at the advancing Hun cavalry with spears. I kept my spear in a diagonal guard in front of me instead, keeping an intense concentration as I watched the Hun cavalry coming in full force. I adjusted my defense position as needed.

For the past two years, I had been in clashes with the Huns for nearly a hundred battles, both big and small. I had their patterns well figured out, nearly all of the Huns used scimitars and rode on war horses, while only an extreme few used spears. They attacked at full force. The first clash had always been the round with the greatest casualties for kingdom's troops. Fighting them with brute force in this time was the most unwise.

Keeping a wide stance, my spear clanged repeatedly against the barrage of attacks, turning my hands numb. 

Dreadful shouts from kingdom's soldiers could be heard from time to time, but I successfully survived unharmed once again.

Once the first clash was over, a gleam flashed in my eyes. The brief moment where the Huns turn around after the first charge was the most precious chance for a counter attack!

I surveyed my surroundings. 

A short distance ahead of me, a Hun was turning his horse around. Without any hesitation, I charged towards the Hun cavalry with my spear. I speared through his neck with a fierce shout. Blood spewed out from the broken artery in an arc, splattering on the ground.

I pulled out the bloodied spear, daring not to linger in one spot. I went to the side of the dead Hun's war horse right away, keeping my back to it. 

I curved my body so as to hide my back and head as much as possible behind it. With a hand gripping the spear, I continued to observe the surrounding battle with her other hand pressed on the handle of the podao on my waist.

Alongside the horrid cries, more than a few Hun cavalry were brought down their horses by the kingdom's spear-wielding soldiers. Once downed, they were pierced through, leaving a final shout and a pool of fresh blood.

At the same time, more than a few kingdom soldiers had their lives shortened by the scimitars of the Hun cavalry...

Briefly analyzing the situation, I promptly gave up on the spear in my hand. I pulled out the podao on my waist instead. The kingdom's war drums were still maintaining the same tempo. Two flanks of cavalry have also spread out as a net, closing in on all sides.

The Hun infantry had reached the front lines. I charged forward once again, wielding a podao. I faced a Hun soldier who was dressed in the pelts, wielding a scimitar.