13

LISA

A whirlwind of commotion rose in the military camp overnight!

In just one night, our names reached every corner of the military camp.

Nearly all of the soldiers were discussing it.

General Windsor had made an exception by promoting Jackson to pioneer commander, with a hundred land rights in fiefs.

Meanwhile, I was promoted to battalion commander of the Flying-Feather battalion.

For a time, the curious and the ambitious gathered towards the two of us, but Jackson and I seemed to have suddenly drifted apart.

That night, he questioned me outside the big tent. But all that I had said was, "Trust me, this is the best result."

Of course, he could not accept such an answer.

Under the night sky, he argued with me for the first time.

Our surroundings were very dark. He could not see my expression clearly.

My silence exasperated the last of his patience.

He said many things without choosing his words, and the two of us ultimately parted on bad terms.

For me, the only benefit that comes with the promotion was that I could have a small tent of my own. I no longer had to squeeze with over a dozen men in one tent.

I did feel guilty towards Jackson. I knew that he only wanted the best for me, and I understood why he could not comprehend my decisions.

I understood his anger. And right now, he probably wasn't just disappointed in me. He was probably thinking that I was a hopeless case, too.

I laughed soundlessly at that thought.

"It's just too bad that I'm not a man, and I have no intention to seek wealth at great risk. Crossdressing to enlist in the army is already a death sentence. I have walked into this military camp only to take revenge, and I will think of a way to quit entirely once I have killed a hundred and eighteen people. I can die on the battlefield, but I absolutely cannot die on the path to fame and fortune!"

However, I could not explain that to him. I could not find a way to start either.

In the end, I could only sigh quietly.

Perhaps ending our friendship here, was for the best.

My body was a fatal secret. If I gets exposed one day, my death alone was enough. There was no need to drag anyone else down with me...

***

Imperial city, Buckingham Palace

Seated on the dragon throne, the King looked down upon the hall with a stormy expression.