73

Jennie smiled noncommittally towards Jonathan's words.

She took out a silk handkerchief to gently wipe away the dense sweat on Jonathan's forehead.

For Jonathan who had lost his mother and who wasn’t over nine years old, his older sister’s gentle actions were very effective.

He squinted his eyes as he raised his head slightly with an expression where he was enjoying being spoiled.

Jennie kept the silk handkerchief once she had wiped his sweat away, then she brought out an intricate food box.

She opened it to show a plate of jade dew linglong pastries and yuanyang green bean cakes.

“You must be hungry after travelling for half a day, right? Eat some.”

Jennie said gently while she flipped over the teacups on the desk, then she poured a cup of water for Jonathan.

“Thank you, sister.”

Jonathan's eyes were lit up as he straightened his posture on the cushioned seat.

He picked up a pastry to send them into his mouth, no longer talking about snitching to Jonathan.

Jennie sat quietly by Jonathan's side. Her eyes nearly revealed a smile as she watched him glut on delicacies.

Jonathan ate up three pieces in one go, then he drank the water that Jennie had poured for him in one go.

Jennie raised a hand to pour another cup for Jonathan, then she leisurely asked in an indifferent manner: “Jonathan, what kind of things do the new Grand Preceptor teach you every day?”

“Mm… Other than teaching me to read and practice writing, the new Grand Preceptor also taught me about the path of Kings.”

“Oh? Then could you go on and say, what you think is the path of Kings.”

“The Grand Preceptor said that the people are the kingdom’s roots, the court’s foundation. One must govern the world with benevolence. The peace of the people leads to prosperity of the kingdom, and the fortune of the people leads to the strength of the kingdom.”

Jennie nodded.

Jonathan continued: “The Grand Preceptor also said that there must be heavy law in troubled times. A king must not be too merciful, so as to not be deceived and fooled by lower officials.”

“Oh? Then what have you understood from Grand Preceptor’s education?”

“I think that, for what is called the path of the King, one must learn to temper force with mercy. With a good grasp on each level, one could become a good King.”

Satisfaction filled Jennie's eyes as she listened to Jonathan.

She patted Jonathan's young and tender shoulders lightly, then she said: “You said it very well, but do you know that this is only a part of the path of kings? The common people are important without a doubt, but the court also has multiple structures that requires many talents?”

Jonathan averted his eyes once Jennie said that, while his legs that hung in the air kicked forward.

Pouting his lips, he said in a low voice: “I know what you wants to say, but I just don’t like…”

Before Jonathan could finish speaking, Jennie reached out a delicate finger to stop his lips at the last moment.

The latter also realized it at once; he stopped talking.

Seeing that Jonathan understood, Jennie's eyes filled with relief.

The two siblings quietly shared a smile in this private carriage.