22

Seeing this, all of the soldiers of the Flying-Feather battalion laughed loudly without any inhibitions.

The military camp was such a place.

You could receive special treatment using a 'noble' status, but do not hope for others to respect you for your poor ability.

Although Lisa seldom spoke or smiled, and her affinity with people was very low, she had secured a place within the hearts of the soldiers in this battalion from the moment she executed a hundred accurate shots in succession.

Now look at Kaizen in comparison.

Though he was widely known as a Noble, the soldiers who lived in the border year round believed in what they saw more than what they heard.

Kaizen came formidably, spoke offensively, and he lost face magnificently.

To laugh at such a 'loser', absolutely no inhibitions were needed at all.

"Impossible!"

Veins bulging, Kaizen stared at the empty target.

Waves of laughter grated his ears— he felt like he had been seriously insulted.

He went right up to Lisa, fuming in rage.

He seized her lapels, glaring at her with bloodshot eyes as he roared: "Son of a bitch! You dare humiliate me? There's something wrong with this bow, isn't it? It appears to me that you're getting tired of living!"

"What are you doing?" Gyomei roared in anger once he saw Kaizen attacking his battalion commander.

At the same time, standing closest to Lisa, a lean and sturdy soldier with tanned skin grabbed Kaizen's arm right away.

More and more soldiers caught on to what was happening after that.

They spoke up angrily for Lisa, and they shifted closer to her side.

By that moment, Gyomei had already made his way through the crowd, reaching Lisa's side.

He glared down at Kaizen with eyes the size of brass bells.

"Insolent!" Kaizen's guards stood protectively around him at once.

Some even drew their swords, putting it against the neck of the person grabbing Kaizen's arm.  

Lisa felt uneasy having Kaizen's hands on her lapels like this.

Not because it was Kaizen, but because of her identity as a woman.

She had been secretly binding her chest ever since she was fourteen.

The growth of her chest had also stalled once she ingested that flower, but it was still somewhat different to the flat chests of men.

Lisa had always been carefully protecting herself in the army for the past two years, avoiding all physical contact.

Getting her lapels pulled on like that was rather nerve-wracking.

Lisa knew that something like this would happen when she handed the black bow to  Kaizen, but she did not regret it.

Kaizen could humiliate her as one person. She could just treat it like a bite from a bad dog, and call herself unlucky.

But she could not accept an insult to the entire Flying-Feather battalion, and especially not one extending to the entire military camp.

These soldiers were stationed in this barren stretch of land year round, dying the border red with their own blood.

Even if there were differences in status, they should still receive the most basic amount of respect.

Besides, no matter how reluctant Lisa was to accept it, the reality was that she had become the battalion commander of the Flying-Feather battalion.