15

Kneeling on the ground in trepidation, Jackson felt certain that he was done for...

Carl and Jennie looked blankly at each other.

For a moment, they did not know what to say.

In the end, Carl took an awkward look at his unmarried niece, then he waved Jackson away: "Scram!"

Hearing that, Jackson knocked his forehead on the ground a number of times in succession as if he had been granted amnesty: "Thank you, Sir."

Then he fled the tent quickly.

After a brief silence, Jennie opened her mouth to speak again: "Does uncle believe what that soldier said?"

"The person Jackson speaks of, Liam Manoban, is one I've met before. In my opinion, he is indeed unlikely to be a spy. Even though his refusal to take merit is cause for suspicion, if what Jackson said earlier is true, that would explain it. Liam enlisted on his own two years ago because his village was massacred by the Huns, and he survived by being away from the village that day. I have sent someone to check the place, it was in the exact same state as Liam described."

"I see... So that means that Jackson was being truthful in his description of him?"

"Mm."

Carl nodded, then he continued: "This Liam is truly a rare talent. The reason why our army has been suffering defeats lately is because a very capable commander has appeared in the Hun army. Their formation is entirely unpredictable, and their strategies are superb. Though it is a shame for me to say, the first to notice this change was none other than Liam."

"Oh? Is that so?" Jennie's tone was as calm and unaffected as ever, but a gleam flashed by in her eyes that shimmered like autumn waters...

"Ai, in my many years of battle with the Huns, I believe that a General of this caliber couldn't have come from them. It is in their nature to display their courage and fight to the death. All of their past Generals have been formidable in combat, but poor in command. But things have changed. I have no choice but to hang up a truce sign. I now suspect that an enemy kingdom has been secretly contacting the Huns, as a plot to deplete our resources and to pin us down. One tear in the northern defenses, and the kingdoms in the south might just decide to direct their armies up north. Our kingdom will be attacked from the front and back, and we will not have enough provisions and soldiers to keep both sides defended. It endangers the entire kingdom!"

"Uncle, you know that news of your truce sign will reach the court soon. You understand father's nature the most. Now that you have suffered repeated defeats, he granted me an imperial sword and the authority to 'act as I see fit'. Uncle has been staying in the frontier for all these years, and now that mother has passed away, that leaves no one to defend you in the court. Uncle, you are true kin for me and Jonathan, will you not reconsider my suggestion?"

Carl fell into a long silence, then he gave a frustrated sigh.

It seemed as if the wrinkles on his face had deepened somewhat.

Ultimately, he answered slowly: "Your grandfather was sworn brothers with the previous King. You could say I've grown up with His Majesty; would I not know what he's like? To him, the kingdom is a great, civilized kingdom, a land of etiquette. How could we hang a sign of truce towards the land of barbarians? Your uncle already knows what awaits him from the moment that truce sign went up. Perhaps I, Carl Windsor, shall become known as a criminal in the kingdom. But I will not let the common people behind us face mortal danger over something as useless as pride. Since I already know that something strange is going on with the Hun army, I must act with caution. As long as the northern border is not breached, the south will be safe as well. And as to how the historians will speak of me, you ask... That is not a matter that concerns the present. Let the people of the future judge as they will."

Despite those words, the weariness in his deep voice reminded Jennie of a hero at the end of his road.

Jennie's heart ached to see her uncle like this, and the call of kinship almost made her give up on her original plan, though the urge left as soon as it appeared.

Jennie calmed herself down at once, and she extinguished that little flame with her own hands ...

Submerged in his own thoughts, Carl did not notice the slight and fleeting change in her expression.

In the end, he said quietly: "Even if your mother has passed, Jonathan is still the legitimate heir. It is his birthright. As long as you two do no wrong and go with the flow, what rightfully belongs to Jonathan will definitely be his."

"I understand. It has gotten late, uncle. You should rest early. I shall bid my leave."

Jennie still carried a faint smile on her face, seeming as if she did not mind Carl's rejection of her suggestion at all.

She gave her salutations towards him respectfully, then she left the big tent leisurely.

***

JENNIE

I was surrounded by guards once I walked out, something I had gotten used to at an early age.

Standing still, I looked up at the night sky, brightened by the moon and a sparse collection of stars.

A long while later, I began to walk towards my private tent...

Sitting at my desk, the flickering light of the lone oil lamp cast wavering shadows on my face.

I was holding a white jade pendant in my hand, rubbing its lustrous surface with my fingers.

It was quiet all around. A gentle breeze blew past, rustling the flags outside.

"Come out."

In the next moment, someone walked out from the darkness!

This person was dressed in black robes, and he wore a mask made of black iron.

He made no sound when he walked.

My tent was heavily guarded, yet no one had noticed his entrance.

Like a shadow in the night, it was as if he had simply materialized in the darkness...

"Upper Moon One, greets Your Highness." The 'shadow' kneeled on one knee.

"Pass this order down. Everything is to progress according to plan..."

"Understood!"

"Send someone to investigate the origins of that mysterious person among the Huns."

"Understood!"

"Other than that..." I rubbed the jade pendant in my hand.

After a moment of silence, "Investigate a soldier in this military camp called Liam Manoban. I want to know everything about him, including his past before he entered the military." I said as I looked at the flickering light before me.

"As you wish your highness!"

I waved my hand, dismissing the kneeling person.

In the next moment, the 'shadow' vanished on the spot, leaving nothing but the sound of wind!

As if he was never here.

I looked down at the jade pendant resting quietly in my fair palm.

In the middle of this intricately carved jade, there was a small engraved 'Jennie'.

It was a gift from my mother.

There was a piece for me, and a piece for Jonathan.

Looking at this jade pendant would remind me of her.

Now that we were separated forever, I could only think of her through such mementos.

"I'm sorry, mother. This daughter has to sacrifice uncle for Jonathan's sake..."

I smiled. In this moment, I suddenly realized that I was just like my father, that heartless King.

"Mother, I will definitely protect Jonathan and ensure him a life of well-being."

================

Author's note:

Jennie: Liam Manoban, you have successfully piqued my interest.

Lisa: ???? Is the poison flaring up? I'm getting chills...