7

A few days had passed since the small victory against the Huns. General Carl's military camp welcomed a brief period of peace and quiet.

However, a diligent figure had been missing for the entire time. That was Lisa, who had her thigh wounded by a scimitar.

On that note, Lisa could be considered a unique existence in the infantry battalion. One could say she was the only person in the entire infantry battalion who had survived for two years without getting a promotion. 

In a place with the highest rate of casualty, a person who had not been promoted or transferred certainly counted as a veteran. She was also rather strict with herself on a regular basis, and she preferred not to socialize. She seemed to have no friends at all, other than Jackson.

However, that did not mean that the others did not respect Lisa.

In the military camp, the relationships between people were pure and simple. Lisa's hard work and her valiance during battle was clear to everyone. That was why the troop leader did not say anything about her continued absence in the daily drill when her leg was injured.

However, Jackson was occupied with worry. He knew what kind of person Lisa was. He remembered that there was one time where Lisa's arm had been broken by a Hun's war horse, but she still tolerated the pain and participated in drills...

Thinking to this point, Jackson recalled the scene of that day again.

A patch of dark red had grown slowly between Lisa's legs. Jackson sighed a heavy breath: For a man to lose that important part, this has probably been a huge blow to my buddy!

"Buddy, it's time to eat." Jackson returned to the tent with bowls of food, finding Lisa sitting at her usual spot on the wooden bed with a pale expression. She was holding a wooden board that she kept rubbing with her hand.

"Buddy? It's time to eat." Jackson sat down next to Lisa, handing the bowl to her. 

Lisa was pulled out from her memories. Seeing Jackson's concerned expression, she returned an assuring smile: "Thank you. My leg is already much better, I will participate in the drill tomorrow."

Jackson fell silent for a while, then he shoved food into his mouth. He mumbled with his mouth full: "A leg injury can be serious or trivial. The Huns will probably stay back for ten days to half a month after this battle. Since it's not autumn right now, the Huns don't need to stock up on winter rations, so they probably won't come so frequently. See, our meat has gotten thinner again."

Humored by Jackson, Lisa cracked her mouth open, wanting to smile. But she couldn't quite manage it...

Lisa looked down at the food in her bowl, lacking any appetite. The sudden threat brought about by her first period was a suffocating pressure.

Ever since she enlisted as a fourteen year old, she had always thought that by training diligently and putting in many times more hard work than others, she could compensate for the disadvantage in her gender. But she had completely forgotten that girls would have menstrual periods. 

As a sixteen year old, she would be considered an adult after her first period. This would be a meaningful event for girls of average families. But for her, this was a hazard that could get her beheaded...

The sight of Lisa staring blankly at her bowl weighed heavily on Jackson's heart. He tried to shift Lisa's attention by asking: "Buddy, what's that wooden board you were holding just now? You bring that with you even on the battlefield."

Hearing that, Lisa put the bowl aside. She turned to pick up the wooden board behind her: "You mean this?"

"Mm." Jackson studied the rather unremarkable wooden board in Lisa's hands. It was a flat and tough wooden board with rows of irregular scratches on its surface.