Chapter 8

NKANYISO MADIDA

I cannot believe Mazwi did me dirty like this. I cannot believe he did this even though I promised to explain everything to him. He is my brother and he is supposed to have my back. I know him and Leah went to the same school and that he has been friends with Leah since back in KwaZulu Natal but he has no right to throw me under the bus like this. I promised to explain everything to him but still, he told Nandi that I have a wife. I know I am also wrong for keeping Nandi in the dark but I was going to tell her. I was just waiting for the right time.

Right now I am on my way back home from Nandi’s place. I could tell she is hurt but it is what it is. I love her and I also love Leah. But, if she decides to walk away then I will respect that. I care about her but I will not force her to be with me if she doesn’t want to.

I told Leah that I am going to check on Mazwi since him and Nomhlekabo (his wife) are fighting. Mazwi and his wife are always fighting. I don’t even know why they got married. I am the only person with a better relationship with my wife. I call Mazwi as I drive home.

Me: I will never forgive you for what you did today.

Mazwi: Don’t forget that Leah was my friend before she became your wife.

Me: What happened to blood being thicker than water?

Mazwi: Wouldn’t you have done the same thing if I was cheating on Nomhlekabo?

Me: That was not cool man. You are supposed to have my back. I would have had your back if roles were reversed.

Mazwi: At least now you don’t have to worry about your side chick finding out. Did she break up with you?

Me: She said she will think about it.

Mazwi: Is she worth destroying what you have built with your wife?

Me: I love her. I love Leah too…I love them both.

Mazwi: Then make it official if you love her as you claim.

Me: You want Leah to kill me?

Mazwi: Enough about women, there is a job in Cape Town this weekend so we are leaving this Thursday.

Me: I will tell Leah. By the way are you home?

Mazwi: I am in my car.

Me: I would invite you to my house but you have a big mouth. Why don’t you check yourself into a hotel?

Mazwi: I have to be where Nomhle can see me so she can see that she is the only woman in my life.

Me: Good luck and see you Thursday. I don’t want you at my workplace tomorrow.

I drive into the house. It seems like Leah and Amahle are in bed. I check if all the doors are locked then turn off the lights. I then join Leah in the bedroom. I am still in the clothes I was wearing at work so I change into my night clothes before joining Leah in bed. I get in bed and spoon her. I kiss her back.

“You are back,” she murmurs.

“Yes, my love.”

She turns around to face me, “Why do you like going out at night? If you are not home late you just have to leave and go somewhere.”

“I don’t like going out at night but some things just need my attention.”

“You weren’t always like this,” she says.

“I will try to change. Before I forget my brothers and I have to go to Cape Town this Thursday.”

She sighs, “See why I need a job. You are never home – it’s exhausting.”