Chapter 24

NKANYISO MADIDA

My date with Peal went perfectly. Pearl is a breath of fresh air and I enjoy spending time with her. I feel like she is mature and I like that. She thinks ahead and one can tell she is a good person. But, one can never know so I would like to know her more. I wouldn’t say I love her but I like her. As I said, she is a breath of fresh air. I also love that for the first time, I ran into a girl I don’t have to use money to impress. Pearl just liked me without me having to flash money on her as I did on Nandi.

I spent almost half of my day with Pearl and then went to work around four pm to see if everything is fine. Luke knows how to do his job – probably one of the reasons he is still here. Everything is fine at work.

After work, I drive home. Nandi has been acting right these days I have to give it to her. I am glad that she is acting right because the last thing I need is stress in my house. Home has to be the most peaceful place ever and Nandi was turning it into something else.

I switch on my phone. I kept it off so that Nandi doesn’t blow up my phone. And she did. I have many messages from her – I will open them when I get home. I call Pearl.

Me: Hey, lady!

Pearl: Hi!

Me: Are you good?

Pearl: I am good and today was fun…thank you.

Me: I also had fun and I am looking forward to seeing more of your pretty face.

Pearl: You never run out of things to say, don’t you?

Me: You are pretty. If you want to confirm go stand in front of the mirror and you will see what I am talking about.

Pearl: Stop making me blush. Are you still at work?

Me: I am on my way home. I cannot wait to take a cold shower and rest.

Pearl: Go rest, we will talk.

Me: Take care of yourself for me.

Pearl: You too.

I get home and park my car. The lights are still off I wonder if Nandi and Amahle are home. Maybe they went out. I make my way into the house and to the bedroom. I shower and then try calling Nandi but her phone is off. That is weird – Nandi’s phone is always on. I go to the kitchen to make something to eat and I notice there is a note on the fridge.

‘Amahle is hurt, come to Life Wilgeheuwel Hospital.’

I guess that is why Nandi was blowing up my phone. Why did I decline her call when she was calling? I should have answered her call. Now I feel guilty and how did Amahle get hurt enough to be taken to the hospital? I get my car keys and drive to the hospital.

Me: Leah don’t hang up!

Leah: What do you want now? I told you to text and not call.

Me: Amahle is hurt. She is at Life Wilge what what hospital… meet me there. I will send you the location.

Leah: What did you do to my daughter?

Me: I just came from work and we will find out there.

Leah: I give you our daughter for less than a week and already she is hurt.

Me: Really? Do you think I would intentionally hurt our daughter?

Leah: I will meet you at the hospital and if my daughter is hurt you are in trouble Mr Madida.

LEAH MAVIMBELA

I just knew something bad was going to happen today. My day was a mess and this was it. I wonder what happened to my daughter that she landed in the hospital. I shouldn’t have trusted Nkanyiso to take care of her. Nkanyiso knows nothing about watching a child. He only knows how to spoil her. It’s knocking off time so I can just go straight to the hospital. Sammy has already left the office so I will have to get an Uber. I still don’t have a car. Sammy and Justin have been driving me around and if they are not I just get an Uber.