Chapter 9

LEAH MADIDA

“I think Justin has a thing for you,” says Samantha. The day is over and it was better than I expected. I expected to be fired on the first day since Samantha mentioned the boss hating all receptionists but he was nice to me. He didn’t yell at me or boss me around too much. He just behaved as any normal boss would.

“I said…”

I inject, “I heard you Sammy but what makes you think the boss likes me?”

She says, “He didn’t yell at you as he does to everyone and that could only mean that he feels something for you.”

“Too bad I am married.”

“What if you were not married? Just out of curiosity, would you date a man like him?” she asks.

“Well, if Nkanyiso didn’t exist in my life, I still wouldn’t. He talks too much and it’s a turnoff.”

“I think you would make a perfect match. He could give you light-skinned babies,” we both laugh at the last part.

“I will see you tomorrow Sammy and thank you for getting me this job.”

“I am just happy that I get to see my best friend every day and that the boss likes you,” she hugs me goodbye, “See you tomorrow.”

I get into my car and drive home. Today was fun. Maybe this is the kind of distraction I needed. I don’t know why I didn’t think of it sooner. On my way home I am tempted to buy take-outs but I don’t want to give Nkanyiso reasons to make me quit my job. I have to get home and cook.

Nkanyiso’s car is parked outside. He is home early, that’s new. For the first time, Amahle is not by the television. I take off my heels and carry them in my hands, “Love!”

“In the kitchen!”

I make my way to the kitchen. Nkanyiso is cooking and Amahle is doing her homework – that’s interesting. I kiss Amahle on the cheek and then walk up to Nkanyiso. “Hey.”

He kisses me, “How was work?”

“It went better than I expected. You are cooking?”

“I thought I should make us something to celebrate mommy getting a job, right Amahle?” Amahle just smiles. I am sure she wishes to be watching TV not doing homework. I excuse myself and go to the bedroom to change my clothes. I notice Nkanyiso’s phone on the charger. Have you ever been tempted to go through your partner’s phone? Not because you don’t trust them but just to make sure they are not doing anything.

I pick the phone up and put in the lock code. It’s still the same. You know what, I shouldn’t be doing this. I put the phone back on the charger and head out. My phone rings before I reach the kitchen. It’s Mazwi. Today he is using his number.

Me: Good evening!

Mazwi: I thought you were going to hang up.

Me: I can if you want.

Mazwi: I didn’t call to bother you. I am just checking if you are okay.

Me: I am fine, thank you and I am going to hang up.

Mazwi: That is all, you can hang up.

Me: You need to stop this. It’s getting ridiculous.

Mazwi: I can’t help how I feel.

Me: Do you want me to tell Nigel that you are bothering me again?

Mazwi: It won’t change anything. At the end of the day, I love you.

Me: Stop calling me and I am going to tell Nigel that you are at it again.

I hang up and join Nkanyiso. I help him finish cooking. It’s nice to do this with him. It’s been long since we did something together. Sadly, he is being nice and sweet yet leaving for Cape Town tomorrow.

NKANYISO MADIDA

“Lee,” I kiss her forehead and kiss all over her face, “We are leaving.”

“What time is it?”

“Four am. I will call you when we get there,” I cover her with the bed covers, “I love you,” I kiss her one more time, get my bag and head out.

Nigel is already waiting for me outside my house. He is with Nqobile. Nqobile is not coming with us but I think Nigel brought him so that he can go back with the car.

“Where is Mazwi?” I ask as we drive to the airport.

Nigel, “He is getting the jet ready. We will meet him at the airport.”

“I would still love to come with you guys,” says Nqobile.

“You are too young,” Nigel replies, “Focus on school, keep an eye on Nomhle, Leah, Bontle and our crazy sister while we are away.”

We find Mazwi and his big head already waiting for us. I am still mad at what he did. He was supposed to have my back. It was wrong of him to say my business to Nandi. Wrong or not he is my brother and is supposed to have my back. We fly to Cape Town on our jet. Nigel bought it and everyone is allowed to use it. By half seven we are in Cape Town and checking ourselves into Vineyard Hotel. We all go to our rooms. We agree to meet at noon when we are well rested. I call my wife as soon as I get to my room.

Me: Mrs Madida!

Leah: Did you travel safely?

Me: Yes we just got here a few minutes ago. Are you at work now?

Leah: I am on my way there.

Me: Take care of yourself for me, please.

Leah: You know I always do and don’t look at other girls while there.

Me; (laughing) I only have eyes for you, Mrs Madida.

Leah: Remember you are not the only one that knows how to hide a dead body.

Me: Why do you think I chose you? We are a match made in heaven.

Leah: Let me love and leave you. I just got to work.

Me: Take care!

I hang up and lie on the bed facing the ceiling. Nandi crosses my mind. I wonder how she is doing. I wonder if I should check on her. Maybe I should give her time to think about everything. I don’t want to pressure her. A message pings into my phone and it is a PDF file from Nigel. Another message comes in soon after and it reads; ‘Go through the plan again and then we will also do it together at noon.'

NARRATED

An armored truck is driving on a two-lane road coming from Pick and Pay supermarket to pick up cash. Behind the truck is a security vehicle following it. The driver is very relaxed and doing his job as usual, next to him is an armed man carrying a K2 riffle. It is protocol and for emergencies. To the two it is a normal Friday afternoon and they are talking about their girlfriends. They are bragging about how they are juggling many girls at once, absent-minded.

Out of the blue, a big moving truck comes speeding towards them causing the driver to take an unexpected turn leaving the security vehicle blocked by the moving truck. While the driver is still trying to make sense of what is going on, a huge Kenworth truck comes speeding toward the armored truck and knocks it over.

2 silver Golf GTIs come speeding heading towards the armored truck. Three men get out, their faces are covered with black balaclava masks. Two from one car and one from the other. One of them rushes towards the back of the armored truck, places a bomb, takes cover then presses the controller in his hand blasting open the back door while the other two shoot the driver and his partner as they are trying to crawl out of the truck. Three more armed men get out of the truck coughing and they are shot right away by the two men from the Kenworth truck. The five men start packing the money in their bags. Three of the five take one car and the other two do the same in the other car and then drive away at full speed. The Golf GTIs do not have number plates so it will not be easy to locate them and they are going in different directions. They drive to the nearest designated place which is also the place where they left their other truck.

They take their bags and throw them in the courier truck, take off their jackets and trousers. They throw their clothes in the GTI, pour petrol on the car and set it on fire. Their courier truck is written City Logistics so they wear shirts with that logo. The two guys sit at the front and one of them gets at the back and stashes the money under all the other parcels in case they get stopped.

They drive away and get on the main road just like any delivery truck would. As they are driving they see traffic cops ahead of them.

“Relax and drive,” says the one guy.

“I hate these cops,” the driver says as he pulls off the road and parks on the side. A female traffic officer walks up to the car window.

“Good afternoon, sir!” says the lady cop. She has a Xhosa accent.

“Good afternoon, ma’am.”

“You are speeding and the speed limit is 80km/h. Can I also see your license and registration?’ she politely requests.

He hands her his documents, “I am sorry about that it is just that we are behind time.”

“I will have to give you a ticket.”

“Officer come on,” he says and his partner interrupts him by clearing his throat in other words telling him that they should move. They accept the ticket and drive away. They drive to some warehouse.

“I cannot believe you got a ticket,” he says opening the back so they can let the guy at the back out.

“That was smooth,” the guy tosses out the bags of money, “Did you have any problems on the road?”

“No, but Mazwi got us a ticket.”

“It’s a three hundred rand ticket. We can afford that.”

A meat truck also drives in and it is the other two guys.