Chapter 14

LEAH MADIDA

Nkanyiso has been a little distracted. I don’t understand what happened because when he came home he was fine but then his mood just dropped to zero. He has been snapping at Amahle for no reason at all. He even turned off the TV and told her to go to her room. I know that Amahle is getting out of hand and sometimes stubborn but I know this has nothing to do with her. Something is bothering Nkanyiso and he is using Amahle to take out his anger. Which is wrong – my baby doesn’t deserve all the yelling she has been receiving.

Also, Nkanyiso had offered to cook but then changed his mind and ordered Mexican food. He knows very well that Amahle doesn’t like that. So now Amahle had a sandwich for supper and I know she is crying where she is. Amahle is the type that does not care about anything but for some reason, her father gets to her especially when he yells.

“What’s wrong?” I get in bed next to Nkanyiso. Today he went to bed early. I was the one who checked if all the doors are locked and switched off the lights. Usually, he is the one that does that.

“Nothing is wrong.”

“Don’t lie to me. I can tell something is bothering you. Out with it,” I switch on his side lamp. “We are not going to sleep unless you tell me what is bothering you.”

“Leah I am not in the mood for this.”

“I am also not in the mood but I don’t like how you are acting especially toward our daughter,” I say.

“Amahle is spoilt.”

I say, “Spoilt by you. You are the reason she is the way she is because when I discipline her, I am the bad guy. What is bothering you?”

“I have to go home tomorrow.”

Clap once, “You want to go home yet it’s nothing when I ask.”

“I just decided now. I have to go home and talk to my mother about something.”

“Nkanyiso you do know that I am not your girlfriend, right? You can’t just say you want to go home and not give me an explanation.” I say and he switches off the side lamp. I guess that means he is done talking. I am not in the mood to fight with him so I get under the covers and sleep. If he wants to go see his mother then he can do that.

The following morning I wake up around six am. Nkanyiso is already up and preparing to go to KwaZulu Natal. I wake Amahle up, we are also going out. Nkanyiso finds me picking out my clothes when he comes from bathing.

“Are you going somewhere?” he asks.

“Yes.”

“Where are you going?” he questions.

“To Pretoria.”

“To do what?” he continues to interrogate me. I don’t reply but head to the bathroom to shower. I have already told Amahle to bathe herself. She can now bathe herself but I help her sometimes. When I am done, I find Nkanyiso dressed and sitting on the bed. He has his small bag next to him meaning he might spend the night there.

When I am moisturizing my skin, Nkanyiso says, “So you didn’t think about telling me that you want to go to your mother?”

“I thought of it this morning.”

He walks up to me and grabs me by my arm, “Stop this madness. You were supposed to tell me you want to go somewhere.”

“You mean like how you told me sooner that you want to go to KZN.”

“Don’t piss me off Leah, I am not in the mood for your attitude,” he snaps.

“You are the one who is having an attitude. When have you ever left the house or planned a trip without telling me in advance?”