Chapter 19

LEAH MAVIMBELA

I can’t believe I am soon to be a single lady again. Well, I am already a single lady but I am waiting for the divorce to be finalized. I left my husband. I thought death was going to part us but I guess life had other plans for us. I don’t want to lie, I miss him. I love Nkanyiso and he made me happy. I never expected that he would cheat on me. He was the perfect husband but I guess we were not meant to be. I love him but I don’t regret leaving him. I love him but I love me more and as much as I am still hung over him, I will get over it and I will be fine.

I told my sister that Nkanyiso and I have separated and asked her to tell the rest of the family for me. I didn’t dare to tell them. Not when they warned me not to marry him. Not when they told me that he was going to break my heart. I had no choice but to send my sister and I am glad she delivered the news. I am also glad that Nkanyiso did not ask for his cows back. That would have been petty.

Anyways, I managed to move out of Samantha’s house and rent myself an apartment. Buying a house is a lot of work. If I was petty I was going to kick Nkanyiso out of the house he is in since it’s in my name but I am not. I have nothing against my ex-husband. He wanted Nandi and I let him be with her. I will not be the crazy baby mama. I could but I won’t.

“Happy Valentine’s day,” Samantha hands me a red rose.

“What would I be without you? You are the only one that told me that today, can you imagine? And, thank you for the rose.”

I notice she is carrying a bunch of roses. She smiles, “You know I got your back my single friend."

“Okay...Who are those from?”

She bites her lower lip, “My girlfriend.”

“And I don’t know about her? Wow, so much for being best friends.”

“Girl I don’t want you near my woman. The friend and the partner must never meet or be friends. You know the rules,” she says.

“I hate you.”

“I will take my flower back if you get too comfortable. By the way I am going on a date. What should I wear?" she asks as if she would wear what I suggest, “Should I let down my weave?”

“Sammy even if you wear a plastic bag you would still look good.”

“I will wear that dress I bought when we last went shopping. Thanks, Lee,” she rushes away. I don’t know why she is even thanking me because I was saying one thing and she was busy making conclusions in her head. I am glad she has a date and seeing someone. She deserves it. I wonder when she left work because she looks like she wasn't here. Sammy and sneaking out. Mr Adams hired a crazy person.

The work phone rings and I answer it.

Me: J.A Fashions good afternoon!

Mr Adams: Leah please come to my office.

Me: Yes, sir!

I hand up and wave at Nolita. I am not allowed to leave the front desk empty. I make my way to Mr Adams's office. I knock once and then enter his office.

“You called me, sir!”

“Yes…I have to rush somewhere and I can’t find Sammy. Please tell her to handle all my meetings for the rest of the day,” he requests.

“Yes, sir.”

“Please check with Nolita if her team has worked on the dress I asked them to work on. We need it by the end of tomorrow or we could lose one of our best clients?” he says and I nod. He sounds disturbed I wonder what is bothering him.