Chapter 36

LEAH MAVIMBELA

Wayne just left. He kept saying he was going to leave until he ended up helping me cook. I don’t know what is going on between us but so far all is well and we are getting along just fine. I don’t know if we should put a label on things but I think putting labels on things ruins things. As long as I am happy with what is happening then all is well. As much as my happiness matters, for now, I have to keep him away from my daughter until I know what exactly we are. I cannot be introducing my daughter to every man I get with.

I check the time on my phone and it is a few minutes after three pm. Amahle should be here by now. I have been standing outside my apartment for about fifteen minutes now and still no sign of Amahle. Usually, she is here at three pm and the driver calls when they are delayed.

I call her driver.

Bongani: Hello, Mrs Madida.

Me: Hey, are you guys delaying? I have been waiting for a while now.

Bongani: Mr Madida picked her up. I thought he told you.

Me: Maybe he forgot, thank you.

What is wrong Nkanyiso Madida? What does that man want from me? Seriously what does he want from me? Isn’t Nandi and Noxolo giving him what he wants? Why is he bothering me so much? Isn’t he cheated with them because I am not enough for him, why is he bothering me? He should focus on being a father again and leave me alone. Why is he even taking Amahle? Her arm hasn’t healed and I wouldn’t want my daughter to get hurt again.

“Why are you standing outside, are you waiting for Mr Good Dick?” Sammy parks her car in front of me.

“I was waiting for my daughter but that crazy man named Nkanyiso picked her up from school. That man just gives me a reason to hate him every day.”

“Get in, I am here for you,” she leans and opens the door for me. I get in and we drive in.

“Shouldn’t you be working?”

She answers, “We are e grieving the boss and we are waiting to hear the way forward from his family. I feel like we are about to lose our jobs.”

“And this is all my fault.”

“Hey, don’t say that. Only God has power over life and death. Maybe it was Justin’s time to go and Nkanyiso happened to also want to kill him,” she parks her car and then we head to my apartment.

“I don’t think I will be able to work in that place again. It will just remind me of Justin and how I am the reason he is dead. I am going to look for another job.”

She wraps her arm around me, “Everything will be fine. How is it going with divorcing Nkanyiso?”

“I am still waiting to hear from my father. I don’t know what is taking him so long. I am sick of Nkanyiso.”

“Only if you permitted me to burn him alive. How can he treat you like this?” she utters sullenly.

“I don’t want him to die, I want him to suffer and I will make sure he suffers even if it is the last thing I do.”

“I am glad I have the most peaceful relationship. You and Nkanyiso are toxic to each other. All you had to do was walk away from each other peacefully but you two want world war three,” she then says, “Are you serious about getting a new job?”

I nod, “I don’t think I can work there anymore. I will have to get a new job.”

“I hear you and if I hear something, I will tell you.”

I smile and squeeze her hand. We sit down once in my apartment, “Thanks, Sammy. For being there for me.”

“Enough about Justin and Nkanyiso, tell me about the guy you met.”