Chapter 20

NKANYISO MADIDA

The meeting was a mess. My mood just changed when I left the house. Nandi just had to ruin my mood. I love Nandi but no man wants a lazy woman. We might have a big house but she must make a plan. She could at least hire a helper. Leah handled the house all by herself, watched Amahle and made sure everything was fine. Nandi cooks when she feels like it, most of the time we eat take-outs. I don’t know when I last ate a nice home-cooked meal.

It’s nine pm and I am driving home. I wish I could go somewhere that is not home. I just need a break from Nandi just for one night. My phone rings and it is Mazwi. Can he please leave me alone?

Me: I messed up Mazwi, you shouldn’t have asked me to do it.

Mazwi: I just received a call from the client. He said you messed up but he got what you were trying to say so they are thinking about it.

Me: You owe me.

Mazwi: What’s wrong? I can sense your frustrations from here.

Me: It’s Nandi…argh she is the worst.

Mazwi: They are called side chicks for a reason. There are not meant to be made wives.

Me: Don’t start, please. Nandi seemed decent, she was neat and could cook. Since she started living with me, she has turned into a cabbage waiting to be watered. I am sick of it.

Mazwi: (laughing) It hasn’t even been a year. Not even three months… you will be strong. That’s what you get for thinking with your dick.

Me: Mazwi leave me alone, please.

Mazwi: You had a woman that loved you and did everything but you decided to chase after the twenty percent you were not getting from your wife. Nandi seemed neat and smart because you were seeing her at a certain time. Of course, she had to clean up for you.

Me: Kill me!

Mazwi: You will be strong. At least now you know that actions have penalties.

Me: You are making things worse for me, goodbye.

I hang up and drive home. I don’t know if I can even call it home. It has become the most stressful place ever. I used to look forward to going home but not anymore. Nandi is a lovely person but she is also very lazy and it’s not attractive.

When I get home I find Nandi crying on the couch. Deep breath! I sit next to her, “Hey… I am sorry. I didn’t mean to snap at you like that.”

“Do you really regret inviting me here?”

Honestly, I do but I hold her hands and say, “That came out wrong and I am sorry. I wish you could also play your part around the house.”

“You could have told me nicely.”

“Nandi you are not a child. The same way you took care of your house should be the same way you do in this house. At least get a helper, you know money is not a problem,” I say.

“I will get a helper.”

“You are my woman and I want some things to be taken care of by you. Can you do that?” I ask and she nods, “I am sorry for what I said but please don’t act like a child. You know how to act right so please act right.”

“Okay.”

“Thank you and I hope we won’t fight about this again,” I say and then we go to bed. I don’t even know why we are having this conversation. Nandi is not a child and I don’t know why she is behaving like this. She was acting right when she was still staying at her place meaning she can also do it now.

I hope this is the last time we have to talk about this. I am not about to baby a grown woman. That is what she is, she is a grown woman. Gosh, she ruined my night. I never thought a woman would stress me this much. I never had such problems with Leah. Leah is a hard-working woman. She made sure the house was in order and did everything. Why can’t Nandi do the same?

I cannot believe I lost Leah over this. I won’t even lie to myself, had I known this was going to happen, I was going to keep Nandi a secret. As Mazwi said side chicks are not meant to be made wives.

NANDI MYENI

“Good morning,” I greet Nkanyiso and then check the time on my phone. It’s a few minutes after seven.

“Hey,” says Nkanyiso focused on fixing his tie.

“I am sorry for not playing my part around the house. I promise to start acting right.”

“Okay,” he kisses me on the forehead and tells me that he is leaving for work. I need to start acting right if I want the ring. But I was trying my best it’s just that this house is big. I send Tiana a message asking her if she can recommend anyone that can help clean the house for me. Nkanyiso has the money and permitted me to get a cleaner.

I send the person a text message as soon as Tiana sends me their number. I tell them what services I need and how much I will pay them. Luckily the girl agrees. I offered a good prize after all. I pick the girl up in Krugersdorp North and she gets started with the cleaning while I do the laundry. We have a washing machine so that’s not a problem.

Around three pm the girl is done cleaning and starts ironing. I think I am going to need her services about three times a week. The house is spotless and I should keep it like that. I also ask the girl to help me cook. I am sure Nkanyiso will smile when he gets home today.

“So do you have another job?” I ask the girl. I am ashamed to even ask her name again. She told me but I forgot about it.

“No, ma’am.”

“Would you like to work for me maybe three times a week? You will be doing what you did today,” I request.

“For the same amount a day?”

“Yes, what do you say?” I ask and she smiles. That’s a good sign. She is good at her job and anything to make sure Nkanyiso doesn’t complain.

PEARL MAGWAZA

“Table for one?” I ask the man that just walked into our restaurant. I work at Calisto’s Portuguese restaurant, Silverstar Casino.

“Table for two, I meeting up with someone,” the man answers.

“This way, please,” I grab two menus and show the man to his table. When he has sat down I say, “Good day sir, my name is Pearl and I will be serving you today. This is our menu and as you can see we have the daily specials here and this is the drinks menu. I will let you go through it and then come back to check on you?”

“What would you recommend?”

“Pardon?” What does he mean what would I recommend?

“What drink do you think I should try while I wait for my friend?”

I don’t know! How am I supposed to know what he wants? I smile and say, “It depends on what you like sir, here we have…”

He interrupts me, “What do you like? Which drink would you like?”

“Well, I like wine…sweet wine or any cocktail.”

He nods lightly, “Which cocktail is your favorite?”

“Margarita.”

“Can I buy you one?” he offers.

“I am on the clock so I am not allowed to drink but you can tip me afterward.”

He smiles, “Pearl right?”

“Yes, sir.”

“You are making me seem old when you call me that,” he says and I can only smile. I can’t be rude to a customer but can he order so I can attend to other people, “What time do you knock off, Pearl?”

“I am afraid I cannot tell you that, sir.”

He chuckles, “Again calling me sir.”

“I have to…have you decided what to order?”

“Should I try the cocktail you recommended?” he says. Lord please can he decide so I can attend to my other tables. I am tired and the last thing I need is to snap at a customer and end up losing my job.

“I think you should. Should I write it down?”

He shakes his head, “Can I have one pink pussy?”

“Cool then one pink…coming up.”

“Are you shy to say pussy? It’s on the menu… or should I order a blow job?” he says. I wish a plane can fall from the sky and crash this man. He is being a jerk.

“I will get it, sir,” I try to walk away but he pulls me back. I loosen my wrist from his hand, “Anything else?”

“I am messing with you, can I have a Deadshot cocktail?”

“Coming up!” I walk away. He better tip me after this. I get him his drink and then attend to other tables. Someone joins the man and orders what his friend ordered. They also order food. When done, they ask for the bill and I give it to them.

“Thank you, Gentleman, it was nice serving you,” I say before walking away. When I check how much he tipped and the man tipped me a thousand rands, cash! Beneath the money is a business card - Nkanyiso Madida…. interesting.