Chapter 24 (Roche)

The moment Roche had entered her quarters, Verita had intercepted her and shoved a fresh load of books into her hands that needed to be delivered to Leinos.

"A last ditch attempt. That, and a few more book deliveries." Verita muttered, her eyes sorrowful. She darted off before Roche could recount her findings. She figured it couldn't hurt to check on Finn again anyway.

She made it to the infirmary without too many glares from the guards. Leinos was hovering over Finn again, spreading a variety of pastes across the prince's skin. Roche choked as she saw him. Finn's skin was so pale it seemed translucent. She could see the web of dark veins trailing up his bare chest where Leinos was applying his tincture. The boy was covered in a thin sheen of sweat, looking so still that Roche wouldn't have thought he was alive if not for the terrible sound of his breathing.

Finn's breath came out in a terrifying rattle. She swallowed. He didn't have much time left. Leinos spun around, quickly covering Finn's chest with a sheet. His eyes softened as he glimpsed Roche's stricken expression.

"Are those for me?" he asked cheerfully, evidently trying to distract her. Roche opened her mouth soundlessly, guilt drowning her.

Finn, I'm so sorry I let this happen. I'm going to help.

Leinos followed her gaze, his smile slipping away. "It's not long now." the physician said sadly, "He'll pass in the night. I've made sure it'll be painless."

Roche swallowed. No. She couldn't let that happen.

"Verita still has hope," she blurted out, startling Leinos so badly that he nearly lost his balance, "She's... working on something."

"Really?" Leinos asked, his eyes brightening briefly. But he looked away, back at the ailing prince. "Tell her to hurry. I fear his highness will not survive for much longer."

Roche nodded, hurrying out of the room. She ran over the instructions Circe had given her. She needed to get some datura flower. She had that petal in her room, but that might not be enough.

Roche was so preoccupied that she almost didn't notice the figure waiting for her just outside of the infirmary.

"Going somewhere?"

Roche's heart launched into her throat. She turned, finding Aodh leaning on the wall, tucked in the shadows. He crossed his arms, running his predatory gaze over her with a sneer. Roche dipped into a wobbly curtsy, her heart sinking.

"Forgive me, Prince, I didn't see you there." she murmured obediently. Aodh pushed off the wall, glaring at her fiercely.

"Cut the act." he growled, "Did you come to see your success one last time?"

Fear made Roche freeze. "What?"

"I know you did it." Aodh said, his voice a low rasp, "Tell me what you gave him and I might let you live."

Roche swallowed, trying to steady herself. "Your father didn't put me in the dungeons, my lord."

"I think we both know Kai isn't responsible for this."

Roche held his gaze for a moment. For a moment, she felt nothing but fire. She knew. She knew she was partially responsible for the prince's predicament, but she didn't poison him. She tamped down the words she wanted to say. The prince was looking for someone to blame. She'd just have to prove him wrong.

"My lord," Roche said quietly, "Prince Finn was one of the first people to be kind to me here. And I promise I'm not going to stop looking for something to help him."

She didn't register his movements until she felt a weight against her chest. The air left her lungs in a large whoosh as her back slammed against the wall. Cold metal pressed against her throat delicately. Aodh positioned his dagger carefully. Roche's inkblood roared, but she tamped it down quickly.

"Don't. Don't say his name, traitor." Aodh said, his voice hoarse with rage. The dagger dug into her skin slightly. A drop of blood welled. Roche struggled to hold still.

"Prince Aodh," Roche whispered, "Do not lose yourself to grief. I swear I've done nothing wrong. And I'm going to do everything in my power to help your brother." She held his gaze, beholding his wild and watering eyes. His blade remained steady. She swallowed.

"Is this how Prince Finn would want you to behave? Accusing someone of a crime with no proof of it?" she asked softly. Aodh's eyes flared. For a moment, Roche thought he was going to slit her throat. But Aodh let out a frustrated growl that shook the halls. He released Roche roughly, slamming his dagger back into the sheath.

"When I find proof you've done this, you'll wish you'd swallowed that poison yourself." Aodh swore venomously. Roche didn't curtsy this time. She waited, standing perfectly still. Aodh's throat bobbed with a furious growl. He spun away and stalked down the hall. It took Roche several moments until she got her feet moving again.

Never mind him. Her focus was Finn. Finn and that damned moonflower datura. It didn't take long for Roche to find the Irulian ambassador's chambers. There was a flurry of activity that made it hard for the man to hide. Irulian servants brushed by her, carrying large crates of materials, folded silks, and other provisions they would be needing for their trip. Surprisingly, there were no guards around. Roche's mind inadvertently flashed back to the monumental meeting that had sealed Finn's fate.

You dispatched my guards and left a cryptic note threatening my life and kingdom.

Roche's jaw tightened. She was dressed simply enough to pass as an Irulian servant. She drew a few stares for her Faultless City style dress, but no one stopped her as she silently pressed open the doors to the ambassador's chambers.

To her surprise, someone was already locked in conversation with the ambassador. Her face was flushed, eyes gleaming with emotion.

The Princess was standing nose to nose with the ambassador.

"Going so soon?" Tigris crooned to the man. Roche could only watch as the ambassador's eyes flared with fear.

A/N Ooh things are heating up!!! What do you all think of the chapter?

Sorry for the late update today, I actually left the house for once LOL.