Chapter 43 (Tigris)

The valley was up ahead. The ground had begun sloping steeply, too steep for the horses to safely climb. They'd begun the journey on foot, Roche leading the horses beside them.

The object of power seemed heavy against her hip, tucked into Roche's satchel. The maid had tried tying some of their remaining amenities to the horses, but she'd still been stuck carrying a large stack of their things. The girl struggled under their weight as they climbed the cliff.

When they reached the top of the hills, they stared out into the valley. It was large and deep, with long knolls of grassland contrasting the deep, earthen greens of the forest.

"So, this is it." Finn sounded relieved. He pushed his glasses up his nose, a small smile gracing his lips, "We just throw the object in there and let it explode?"

"Not quite." Tigris walked to the very edge of the valley. "The object won't detonate until someone holds it and wills it to."

She watched the realisation hit her brothers. Aodh grabbed her wrist.

"Tigris, don't." he warned, voice gravelly from disuse. Roche glanced between them all, confused.

"Don't what?"

"Tigris is going to go down there and detonate it." Finn explained, his eyes rounded with horror, "She's going to will the object of power to explode while holding it!"

"It's the only way." Tigris argued, trying to extricate herself from Aodh's grip. "This is my mission, I must do it."

"You can't!" Finn snapped, "Think about father! He'll be devastated."

"I'm thinking about the kingdom!" Tigris shot back, yanking her hand away. "Someone needs to go and detonate it for the plague to end. My knights have lost their lives over this curse. I can't let this go on any longer."

Aodh grabbed Tigris' shoulder before she could launch herself away. His nails bit into her skin. His blue eyes were crystalline and wild. "I'll do it. Give me the object."

Despair clutched her heart like a vise. Tigris leaned forward, patting his shoulder firmly. "You've always been the heir this kingdom deserves, brother. You must live."

"What about me?" Finn asked desperately. He looped his arms around her waist, the warmth of his skin bleeding through her clothes. His distress was so potent that Tigris nearly choked on it. "Tigris, please, you can't go. Let me do it!"

"You nearly died once, Finn!" Tigris exclaimed, eyes burning. Her brothers were begging to die in her stead. This was not how this was supposed to go!

As if things couldn't get any worse, it was at that moment that Roche spun towards the edge of the forest. Her eyes scanned the trees.

"Uh... guys? Does something seem off to you?" Roche asked hesitantly.

The royals immediately untangled themselves. Tigris tensed. Roche was right. Not a single bird sang from the trees. The grass didn't rustle with the breeze. It was far too quiet.

The world came undone.

A hiss split the air. Finn yelped, vaulting backwards. An arrow stuck out of the ground at his feet. The horses reared as they startled. Roche's arm got tangled in the reins and she was dragged away towards the forest.

Aodh shouted in alarm as bandits poured out of the forest. Tigris' hand darted to her weapon's belt, but her fingers only found ash.

Right. That damned librarian had turned all her weapons to dust.

Aodh and Finn had similarly helpless looks. The bandits were coming closer. They were utterly defenseless.

Tigris raised her voice over the jeers of the bandits. "Back to back. Now!" she ordered. Finn and Aodh quickly obeyed. Roche had disappeared among the trees.