Chapter 48 (Roche)

They arrived back in the city after a couple of days, as expected. Roche was immediately responsible for returning the royals' things to their rooms and providing reports on amenities, so she didn't return to Tigris' side until the princess was in the midst of a briefing with her father.

"Sounds like an eventful journey." the king was saying as Roche reentered the room. The royal children all nodded, looking grimy and exhausted.

Aodh cleared his throat. "That's not all, my lord. Before we returned to the city, we met a woman in a nearby village who claimed to know of the Council of Seven. She showed us a prophecy."

Romulus' ice blue eyes hardened. He gripped the armrests of his dais. "Impossible. Such things are either the work of inkblood or lies. Who is this woman?"

Terror seized Roche's lungs like a vise. To her surprise, however, Aodh didn't bat an eye.

"She was insignificant, we didn't bother learning who she was." he lied smoothly, "She simply shared the prophecy with us."

"I see," Romulus relaxed, "You mustn't believe these inkbloods, they only mean to twist your mind."

"She was not an inkblood, father." Tigris interjected quietly, "She told us she'd come across the prophecy by accident. In fact, she was willing to give us the paper from which she'd found it."

Romulus jolted up off the dais. "You brought it?" he asked, eyes wide with alarm. Tigris nodded.

"She said it came from our castle's library before the burnings," Tigris hesitated before drawing out the page. A servant grabbed the slip of a scroll and handed it to the king. Romulus' face reddened as his eyes drifted down the page.

After a moment, his fist tightened around the page, crumpling it into a ball. The document was old enough that the simple action was enough to crumble the paper into smithereens.

Roche winced, looking away. There went the last thing her father had treasured. A seed of resentment for the king flared just a bit brighter.

"Father," Finn gasped, evidently trying not to look at Roche, "That could be important!"

"Ridiculous," Romulus hissed, narrowing his eyes, "You should know better. Prophecies aren't real. All of them were destroyed, I saw to it. This is not real."

"But-"

"Do not make me repeat myself, Finnegan." the king ordered, his voice echoing deafeningly across the chambers. Finn's mouth snapped shut, twin spots of red blooming on his cheeks.

Aodh and Tigris stared at their feet.

The king scanned the room, his flinty expression daring anyone to defy him.

His children remained silent. A small smile spread across his face.

"Excellent," the king said, "You did well on your quest. Leinos has reported no new cases of the plague, and those who have it are healing well. Do not trouble yourself with falsities."

"Of course, my lord." Tigris replied quietly, curtsying, "However, when I was fighting the inkblood, she mentioned a Council of Seven that plots to harm the kingdom. Perhaps that should be investigated?"

The king somehow managed to flush and pale at the same time. "No!" he boomed, "You will not investigate this matter."

"But if they're threatening the kingdom-"

"Tigris!" Romulus snapped, "You will not investigate. Do I make myself clear?"

Tigris' eyes flashed, but she nodded anyway. Romulus nodded, his lips pursed tightly.