Chapter 95 (Roche)

Roche balanced three trays of food in her hands precariously as she knocked on the doors of Finn's chambers.

"It's me," she called quietly. It was very late, almost midnight. Tigris was off conducting searches for the scribe as those from the lower town settled in. The castle was still and chokingly dark. The power had been completely knocked out from the castle. After the last dark age, most establishments in the kingdom reverted to more natural sources of energy like wood, but the castle was luxurious enough that it partially relied on electricity for certain things. Library maintenance, for one, as well as for certain appliances in the kitchen. The servants were currently working to haul out perishables into the snow banks outside to prevent any rotting of food. Half of it had rotted already, though. Roche had just finished Verita seal off the library to prevent any heat from escaping, and the nobles who were housed there had been plied with many fluffy blankets and cloaks.

Roche shivered as the doors cracked open. Kai ushered her in, offering her a cloak that she waved off.

"I can't stay for long. Tigris is busy tonight." Roche said breathlessly. The room was pitch dark, save for the light from a small candle that Finn was showing to the scribe. The child was still perched on the bed, watching the flame with utter transfixation.

Finn looked up at her arrival, his eyes heavily shadowed. "I wish we could help more." he apologised.

Roche waved off his concern. "You're needed here," she insisted, hefting up the trays, "I brought dinner for you."

Kai gave one of the trays to the child, helping him settle it on his lap. Finn quietly moved away from the child and towards Roche, his gentle smile fading. He leaned in, grabbing the other trays.

"How goes the search for the librarian?" he whispered, his face inquisitive.

"Not good. Tigris' patrols have found no sign of him and there's no leads. She's currently banking on the idea of using the scribe to somehow trace the librarian." Roche explained. They both watched the scribe smile as Kai picked up one of the more wilted vegetables and pretended it could fly.

"We can't let her find him." Finn murmured, running a hand through his hair, "But the child isn't speaking to either of us. He hasn't told us anything about the librarian who was with him."

"Want me to try?" Roche asked. Finn hesitated.

"I don't know how much good that'll do." They both knew that Roche had a tendency to stick her foot in her mouth rather than help.

"I can try using my inkblood. He used it to speak to me earlier." Roche whispered, keeping her voice low enough that Kai wouldn't hear. Finn's eyes widened with wonder.

"You can do that?" he asked, before shaking his head, an awfully familiar guarded look entering his eyes, "Right, of course you can. Kai and I will get out of here for a few minutes, see what you learn."

"Right," Roche replied, her stomach churning. She hated the way Finn was looking at her right now, like she wasn't a person he knew anymore. She supposed she'd broken his trust too much for him to ever think of her that way again. She wondered what she could say. 'Sorry that I called you insane after you were tortured for me! Enjoy the roast chicken!' didn't seem to cut it.

Finn turned away, his skin looking hauntingly pale in the candlelight. He called for Kai, and the two of them left the room. The scribe stared at his tray of food like he wasn't sure what to do.

Roche cleared her throat awkwardly. "Do you need help with that?" she asked.

The scribe glanced at her. His transmission cut through her mind cleanly. "Yes, please."