Chapter 49 (Roche)

For a few months, lying low was easy. There weren't any more threats to Tigris' life, at least not serious ones. Roche was always by her side, during training, meetings, hunts, and every meal. So far, nothing seemed out of the ordinary and Roche was content. By day, she was truly just a maid to Tigris, polishing armour, cleaning bed chambers, helping the princess train, bringing her meals and even washing her royal garments.

By night, however, Roche snuck out of Verita's chambers to read new books, scrawling down the new inkblood words that swirled in her mind with each novel, savouring the euphoria that accompanied it. She also had taken to reading the book Verita had given her, the one filled with complex inkblood incantations. It was surprisingly detailed and difficult to get through. Roche tried to focus on protective spells, and she steered clear of the darker incantations, like death curses. She shuddered to think of the enchanted datura flower, how it had radiated a wrongness. She never wanted to use her inkblood like that. It represented everything about inkblood that the kingdom was rightfully afraid of.

Roche couldn't contribute to that.

So she collected protection incantations and healing incantations, things she could use to save the princess' life in a pinch. She practised by quietly murmuring the incantations while she polished Tigris' armour and weapons. Soon, Tigris' armour was enchanted against most inkblood strikes, or they wouldn't be done in with a single curse.

Roche grinned to herself as she walked down the cobbled streets with Kai.

Man, being Tigris' protector is easy! Roche mused to herself. She should have known better than to tempt fate.

"Have you got the rosemary?" Kai asked. Roche held up her basket in answer.

"Cook's going to be pleased."

"Let's hope. If I have to taste unseasoned chicken legs one more time-"

"You're worse than Tigris when it comes to food critiquing." Roche chuckled, elbowing her friend lightly, "I think I need to make you two some Northeastern Shultan roast."

Kai's eyes widened. "Finn told me how good your cooking is. I must try it, I haven't had any since I was a child."

Roche smiled. "In that case, I'll need a few more spices. Let me-"

She was interrupted by a large, earsplitting shriek. There was a crash down the road. The salty, sea scented air whipped Roche in the face as screams filled the air, vendors and customers racing away from a destroyed stall.

Her inkblood froze in her veins, like a dog's ears perking up to a whistle.

"What on earth?" Kai mused, grabbing Roche's arm to tug her away. "Run!"

An animalistic snarl filled the air. Roche only had time to blink before she registered the creature barrelling towards her.

It was huge, as tall as a lamppost and as burly as a mountain lion. It looked like a giant wolf, with thick white fur that ruffled majestically in the air as it charged forward. Its green eyes locked on Roche. As it neared, its irises began to glow a pure, undulating white.

It snarled, and Roche scrambled backward with a scream. Kai yanked her arm. The creature followed them towards the castle, stomping on stalls and civilians like they were ants. It howled, long and lupine, sending a chill down Roche's spine.

She could feel it drawing near. Her inkblood buzzed as it approached, tugging her towards the beast. Roche stumbled at the sensation, her legs locking up.

They were close enough to the courtyard that she could hear knights shouting at each other in alarm.

"Roche!" Kai shouted, frozen near the castle walls, stretching a hand towards her. She flipped back onto her hands, crab walking backwards towards him. The wolf was upon her, licking its lips. Its breath was like a wintry breeze as it loomed over her, freezing her in place.

Her mind was a blur of panic as it lunged, teeth snapping.

Kai screamed.

Roche squeezed her eyes shut, waiting for the bite of a million pointed teeth. But it never came. Instead, a pained yelp split the air.

Roche opened her eyes, gaping at the woman who stood in front of her, training sword aloft. She was tall and lean, dressed in the typical garb of a maid. She tilted her face calculatingly, swiping at the enormous, wolf-like creature again. It howled with fury as the blade tangled in its fur. The woman expertly extricated it, her rich dark skin spattered with blood. She turned back to Roche, her eyes widening.

"GO!" she shouted, yanking Roche out of her stupor. Roche hurtled to her feet, stumbling out of the way. Behind the turned woman, the wolf was coming back to its senses. It snapped, lunging forward, a new target acquired.

Roche managed half a shout of warning, but the maid didn't need it. She dove easily, dodging the creature's snapping canines. She slid beneath its enormous clawed paws, rolling out on the other side. She sliced at the creature's flank.

It roared, spinning around, but the girl was already moving. She waved away some of the other civilians. Alarm bells began to ring within the castle walls. Sweat dripped down the girl's forehead. Roche tried to draw her inkblood to help discreetly, but it was still frozen in her veins.

What was going on? Roche cursed.

The beast reared up on its hind legs, overwhelmed by the rush of noise. With a final defensive snort, it bounded back towards the forest. The maid watched it go, sword still held aloft. Her chest heaved with exertion.

There was a clang behind them. Roche spun around, watching knights pour from the castle walls. They shouted at each other, at her. The world was such a mess of sound and colour that Roche could hardly breathe around it.

She turned back to her saviour who was still frozen in place.

"You saved me," Roche whispered, coming to the maid's side, "Thank you."

"Thank the gods, I thought it bit you." the girl murmured. Her eyes fluttered, blooming with relief, "I'm Ivie, by the way."

"I'm Roche."

Ivie smiled faintly. She winced suddenly, her sword clattering to the ground. Ivie's hand darted to her side.

"Oh, that's not good." the maid murmured faintly. Roche glanced down. A patch of red bled through the girl's shirt, steadily growing larger by the moment. Ivie grunted, dropping like a stone. Roche tossed aside her basket of herbs, barely managing to keep the girl from crashing to the ground.

"Go get Leinos!" Kai shouted to the gaping guards as Roche pressed her hands against the girl's wound, desperately trying to staunch the blood flowing out of her.

A/N: Oooh, I wonder who Ivie is going to be? (If you've watched Merlin, you probably have an idea, but I'm making a couple changes, so don't expect a female version of Lancelot :) )

As always, happy reading!