7. Accepting Naomi's Quest

"So what did you do?" Calloway asked as he ran alongside the girl.

"AHH!" the girl nearly tripped. "Who the hell are you?"

"I believe I was first, its rather rude to try and skip my turn."

"Who-wah, just go away!" the girls speed increased.

Calloway casually sped up as well, keeping pace with her with no obvious effort.

"Wow, I'm impressed. Most of this place seems kind of complacent and boring. But you must have done something really exciting, especially if you have Li'fian and Justafer on your tail, they are pretty high ranking guard captains."

"How are you- get lost loser. I'm the fastest in the city."

The girl used one of her special moves that she normally saved for showing off. She dashed between a couple building bounding off the walls till she was several blocks away in an instant.

"Faster than the guards at least. I'm actually impressed"

Calloway was waiting for her on the building as he looked off in the distance in the direction of the guard captains.

"Go away freak!"

The girl dashed away, this time she not only used the building but the trees as well. This time she hid in an abandoned nest of a giant bird. She peered over the edge and breathed a sigh of relief until she turned around.

"You know, you look oddly familiar." Calloway bit into a fresh apple he found in the tree. "Did you dye your hair?"

"Wha-"

Calloway tilted his head then looked at his apple and back at her, "Wanna bite?"

"Who the hell are you!"

"Call me Cal, and I'd be willing to bet that any of the Sylvan knights would be able to best you. I bet they'd want a bite of this apple. But your dex stats are unusually high for your level."

When Calloway mentioned the Sylvan knights was when the girl really started to freak out. If the knights were finally involved that meant that she'd really had done something bad enough to warrant death. The knights were notorious for their disinterest in petty squabbles unless if affected the kingdom.

"It was just a prank I swear. I didn't mean to transgress-" when she stood up to plead for her life was when she started losing her balance. She pulled out her dagger to defend herself, if she was going down she wasn't leaving this life without a fight. As she was preparing her stance, her foot caught on one of the loose branches of the nest.

"Hey, be careful-"

Calloway jumped after her to protect her. They tumbled together in the air and Calloway used his body to protect hers from the branches and the ground. Combined with the pain shooting down his back there was a pinching sensation in his chest and a pressure on his thighs. His health was in the hundred thousands but the fall and the pain in his chest barely added up to one percent damage and with his auto-recovery it only took a second for his health to fully recover.

When he opened his eyes he found himself on his back on the dirt ground with the girl straddling him with horror in her eyes as she looked at the dagger that was plunged into his chest.

"Well that's unfortunate." He said touching the blood pooling around the wound and then looked at it as is coated his fingers. I'm bleeding? He wondered.

"I-I didn't mean to." The girl's whole body shook with fear.

For the first time her name popped into his head... Naomi Starchaser. It was Peter and Wendy's youngest daughter!