22. Verdant Oathkeepers

[Aura of the Dread Pirate] May now be activated without weapon when character's bloodlust exceeds tolerable range.

The figure of the dread pirate is imposing, his blood lust is legendary. They say that if looks could kill the dread pirate's gaze could strike down a dozen men before he even raised his sword.

Cracks formed around Cal's feet and his eyes glowed red hot with anger. The entire room was paralyzed, none of them could have guessed that this was Cal power. Not even Clera or Shayley had experienced this much pressure on their stats when they fought in the castle.

"This is Ophelia, she is not a cursed child or a witch girl, she is my daughter and will be treated with respect. She is also an Oracle and extremely rare and powerful hidden class that I have seen only once before. Any indiscretion will be met with the full force of her papa."

Cal took a deep breath and released the Aura of the Dread Pirate. Then he smiled warmly, "Calico you may take your seat, your legs look the they are about to give out on you."

Calico nervously complied as soon as she could move again. In the meantime he comforted Ophelia who had gotten a full blast of his aura since she was standing right next to him.

Cal turned back to the crowd that he had gathered. "I was hoping for a little more time, so that Wendy's family would grow more comfortable around me, but I guess it is time I properly introduce myself. Just for clarification, my identity is to never leave this room."

He waited for Wendy, Naomi, and Yvette to swear that they'd never reveal his secret.

Wendy and her girls were taken aback by their master's show of force as well as his closeness with the warrior princess. Too many things didn't add up between the lazy bumbling master they knew and the man standing in front of them.

Cal pulled of his eye-patch and the scares on his face disappeared. His unmarred face bore a striking similarity with so many statues and works of art that dotted the city.

"My name is Calloway Calphius, former guild master of the Elves of the North Wind, and self-proclaim Parton Saint of the City of Perils. It's a pleasure to finally meet you all." He smiled so warmly that the room completely forgot how terrifying he was only a moment ago.

Wendy and her girls weren't so comforted, their shock was evident.

"What!" They screamed defiantly.

"One of the reasons I found your family so charming was that they didn't put me on a pedestal. Naomi even went as far as protesting for the last seventy years." He got a kick out of their reaction. "Please just treat me the same way you have been treating me."

Wendy pulled out a chair from a nearby table and had to sit down.

"Now it's confession time." Calloway sobered, "a week ago I broke off my engagement with the princess. The truth is that before I proposed I knew my time here was limited. I left expecting to never be able to return and see anyone here again, and then woke up 250 years later. I discovered the city I cultivated had flourished, but the princess had not, she was stuck waiting for a man that would never come.

"When I reflected on my callous and selfish actions I was overcome with shame. I disguised myself and challenged the princess to a duel, when I won I forced her to terminate the engagement in order to free her. To my surprise she didn't stab me in the heart a second time. I am shamefully imperfect, but I plan to do all that I can to redeem myself. When that day comes I can only pray that she'll still have me."

The room was silent, nobody had seen that coming.

"That being said," Calloway continued. "There is an upcoming threat to our way of life. An enemy of unknown origin threatens the world and our current circumstance is lacking if we want to survive it. Lots of things need to change. No longer am I going to wait around for quests to fall into my lap, as a guild we are going to push ourselves to the limits. That way when the City of Perils calls, the Verdant Oathkeepers will be there to rise to the challenge."

Guild name: Verdant Oathkeepers

Are you sure?

Yes/no

Yes