Wounded

Takes place during Race to the Edge. Hiccup and Astrid are dating.

The gang was heading home, after a long and exhausting flight. They had to redirect a big pack of migrating whispering deaths, so they wouldn't come across with some dragon hunters. And let's just say, redirecting a pack of whispering deaths is... Well, it's not the kinda adventure you would survive, without one or two scratches. In Astrid's case, this number was six, with a deeper one on her side.

The riders finally landed at the Edge, and Astrid got off of Stormfly with a silent sigh. She didn't wanted the others to see her like this. The gang would think she is weak, and Hiccup would overreact the situation, which would only make the others think, she is even weaker than they thought. It was just a scratch after all.

"Well it went great!" Snotlout said with a stupid, proud grin. "Have you seen my move, when that big one tried to break off?" At this point, Hookfang blew hot smoke into the boy's face. "Our move," shouted furiously Snotlout, between two coughs. "I said our move, you deaf lizard!" But the monstrous nightmare was already chasing him through the decks of the Edge, not caring about what he had to say.

"He is right actually," said Fishlegs. "This couldn't have gone better. We are safe, the whispering deaths are safe and the hunters won't even have an idea, where did their prey go."

"Let's just hope, you are right about that," responded thoughtfully Hiccup.

"Well me and my Meatlug will celebrate in the harmony of our garden, anyway. And I think, you should do the same. We deserved it," and with that, Fishlegs and his loyal dragon were already gone.

Hiccup wanted to ask Astrid, if she had any particular kind of celebration in mind, but the girl was avoiding his gaze and Tuff prevented him from saying anything, anyway:

"Chicken! Oh, I was so worried for you." The little bird jumped into the boy's arms. "I missed you too. Shhh. Don't need to talk now. Let our actions speak for us," Tuff said on a weepy voice, while he hugged Chicken even tighter.

"So, do I wanna know, what's this all about?" Hiccup asked from Ruffnut.

"He's never left Chicken alone for this long before. He was talking about her all the way back here," the girl explained in a tired, emotionless voice. "I'm just glad, it's finally over. I will be in my hut, if any of you would need me."

After the little interlude, Hiccup could finally go back to Astrid. The girl looked overwhelmed and tired.  She was covering her side with her right hand, but Hiccup could still see some blood around the edges of her palm.

"Hey, are you all right?" He asked gesturing at her side.

"Yeah, it's nothing... Just a scratch." Astrid tried to sound all right, but she was quite sure, she failed miserably. Hiccup sent her a doubtful, unapproving look, but he remained silent. For that, she was extremely thankful. Maybe she was wrong to fear of the boy's reaction. Did Hiccup know, she wouldn't want him to make a big deal about the wound? And why didn't she know the boy knew her this well?

But these were questions for another time. Her side started to hurt even more, and she let out a small sigh. Hiccup was still silent, but Astrid saw in his eyes, that he wanted to help her badly.

"Let's get to my hut then, okay?" He asked in a serious tone.

Astrid just nodded, while she was clenching her teeth, to help bear the pain. They slowly started to walk towards Hiccup's hut. It was quite painful, but she knew she would be able to do it. She had had worse wounds after all. When they finally reached the door, Hiccup quickly opened it and they stepped inside. With a big sigh, Astrid leaned against the wall.

"How are you?" Hiccup asked, stepping in front of her. "For real, this time."

"It's been worse," she answered weakly.

The boy just rolled his eyes, then he reached out for her right hand. He gently lifted it, so he could have a better look at the wound.

"Well I don't want to know how it looked, when it was worse." He shook his head. "I hate it, when you act like this."

Astrid wanted to answer, but all her strength left her. "Hiccup!" She shouted, before she started to collapse. The boy was thankfully quick enough, to catch her, before she could fell to the ground. Together they somehow managed to go upstairs, and Hiccup laid her down on his bed.

The boy gathered some supplies, then sat beside her. "This will probably hurt a little," he said, slowly tacking up the downside of her cloth from the wound. Once it was free, he started to clean and disinfect it, which was indeed very painful. Astrid sighed, but she managed to bear it without making any more noises.

"Hiccup?" She asked, when the boy started to bandage her side.

He immediately stopped and grabbed her hands. "Yes, what's the problem?"

"Nothing, I'm all right. It's just... thank you. Not only for this, but for not making a big deal about it in front of the others."

Hiccup smiled. "I knew you would have hated that."

"But..." Astrid tried to get up, but it turned out to be much harder than she thought it would be.

"Woah, woah, woah," Hiccup reached out for her shoulders and gently forced her back to the bed. "It might be a bit too early for that. Let me at least finish with the bandaging."

This time Astrid didn't protested. She laid still, while the boy was working and collected her thoughts. "I really thought you would overreact the situation," she said at last. "And now, that you didn't, I feel terrible. I'm so sorry."

"You feel terrible, because of the wound, you got on your side," Hiccup responded casually, not even looking up from his work.

"No it's... It feels like, you know me much better than I know you." Astrid confessed on a bitter voice.

Hiccup finally stopped the bandaging, and knelt down beside the bed, so their heads would be in line. He grabbed one of her hands and tightened it. After some thinking he started to speak:

"Astrid, you know me better than most people do, and you know that too. Yes, maybe I know even more about you, but that's just because I'm like this. I was always better at understanding other people. But you are strong, brave, intelligent and I couldn't be luckier to have you. We are simply just different, and that's all."

"And is this difference a good thing?" She asked uncertainly.

"What do you think?" The boy asked back.

Astrid was smiling now. "You really know how to make me feel better."

They were staring at each other for a little while, then Hiccup suddenly, gently punched Astrid's shoulder. "That's for getting me worried with the wound and not letting me overreact it in front of everyone," he said then leaned closer to the surprised girl to give her a soft kiss. "And that's for everything else."

"Maybe you know me too well Haddock." Astrid said with a smile.

Hiccup smiled back at her. "I'm sorry, but I got to go know m'lady." He stood up. "I hope, you will..." but he couldn't finish the sentence, since Astrid grabbed his arm and pulled him back for a much longer, more passionate kiss. Now it was Hiccup's turn, to be surprised. "I guess, I can stay for a... bit more... or much more."

Astrid wrapped an arm around the boy's head, and she ran her fingers through his auburn hair. "That's what I thought too," she said, then kissed him again.

If you have any comments, constructive criticism or story suggestions, please leave them here. I would love to read about your thoughts.

Thank you for reading! Have a good day/night!

Hiccstrid One ShotsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara