Sorrow

I'm back from the vacation! This is a short, and bittersweet one shot, I wrote at a quite eventful night in our summer house in one go, when I suddenly got the idea. Takes place after How to Train Your Dragon 2.

A couple days had passed, since the battle with Drago and the Bewilderbeast. Berk was doing great already. Vikings were cleaning the streets, rebuilding their houses, and taking care of their wounded ones. Everything seemed to be perfect for Astrid, except for one detail: Hiccup was nowhere to be found.

This wasn't the first time in the last couple of days, and the girl by now, knew exactly, where to search for her boyfriend. She entered the forest beside the village and started to wander around. After only about half a dozen minutes, she heard a quiet sobbing from behind a big tree. She had found what she was looking for.

Astrid went to the other side of the tree and sat down beside Hiccup. The boy was holding onto his old helmet. When he realized, she was there, he rubbed his eyes with his wrists and looked up at her with a sad smile.

"I didn't hide deep enough, did I?" he asked.

"Well, I know this forest as well as you do, and I know you even better than that, so..."

Hiccup snorted as he nodded in agreement and looked back to the forest.

"You want me to go?" asked the girl carefully. Her boyfriend looked down at his feet. He responded with only the shaking of his head, as if he was afraid, that trying to talk, would just make him cry again. Astrid moved closer to him, so that their bodies were touching, and she gently wrapped a hand around his shoulder.

"What happened now?" she asked quietly.

Hiccup looked up again and held up the helmet. "I've found this," he said heavily. "Dad gave it to me, when he thought I was good at killing dragons."

He took a shaky breath and Astrid started caressing his forearm with her other hand. "He was so happy that day," he said on a shaky voice. "He..."

Hiccup was holding back his tears, so he couldn't finish the sentence.

"He thought, you two had finally had something in common, and that you could talk about something together," she finished the sentence, that he had already told him long ago. As Hiccup heard the rest of the memory, another wave of sadness hit him, and he started to cry again.

Astrid tightened her embrace on his shaking body, and she pressed her forehead against the side of his head. "It's okay," she told him gently, as he was crying uncontrollably. She started to rock back and forth with him. "Sssssh... It's okay."

After a while, the boy started to calm down again. "I've told you not to go back there just yet again," Astrid said to him. "You can still sleep at my place any time."

Hiccup shook his head. "I have to go back, Astrid."

"Why are you torturing yourself with it?" she asked him sadly.

"I have to remember him... I can't ever forget him," he explained as he was sobbing.

"Hiccup," sighed kindly Astrid. She reached out for his cheek and gently turned his head to her. He didn't protest. His eyes were full of tears, and his whole face was wet. "You will never forget him. You can't. He is part of you."

Hiccup slightly nodded, and the girl saw in his eyes, that he believed her. She pressed her forehead against his and put her hand onto the back of his neck. He took a heavy breath.

"Sleep with me tonight, okay?" she asked him.

"Mmm-hmm," agreed the boy quietly as he sniffed a little.

"Should we go back?" she asked him.

"Stay a bit more," asked Hiccup. He buried his face into her neck.

"Sure," whispered Astrid as she wrapped an arm around his back and put another onto the back of his neck. She started caressing him.

"Thank you," whispered Hiccup.

If you have any comments, constructive criticism or story suggestions, please leave them here. I love reading about your thoughts.

Credit to Kadeart (https://kadeart.tumblr.com/) for the great artwork up there.

Thank you for reading! Have a good day/night!