Teasing

Takes place during Race to the Edge. Hiccup and Astrid are not dating yet.

Heather had had enough. She had watched Hiccup and Astrid for months now, and she couldn't put her finger on why didn't they get together already. Or why didn't they get together years before, in the first place.

She saw them every day. She saw the little glances, they exchanged, she saw how they blushed, after they touched, she saw how happy and excited they got when the other stepped into the same room, and most importantly, she saw how Astrid was looking at Hiccup and how Hiccup was looking at Astrid. She knew both of them very well, and she knew that look too. They were undoubtedly attracted to each other. Really attracted. So why couldn't they just get together already?

It wasn't just about wanting them to be happy. Part of it was, of course, this, especially since Astrid was her best friend, but there was something else too. Hiccup and Astrid were clearly ment to be with each other. At every moment, she saw them together, her own heart was flattering, which was a quite new, and even a bit weird feeling for her too. It took her some time, but eventually she realized, that she was shipping them. She couldn't think about Hiccup as a probable partner, and she couldn't be jealous of Astrid, because she was about to get a boyfriend – well, hopefully at least. They could have made a wonderful couple, and she would have been almost as happy for them as they would have been, for sure.

However, for some reason, they haven't made the necessary move so far. Neither of them. They always claimed that they were just really close friends, but they could never really hide how important the other was for them. Of course, it's not like there was any need to hide that at all... Maybe they were just shy. Maybe they were afraid that it would ruin their relationship. However, neither of these things seemed to be true.

Heather had no idea what stood in their way, but she had made a decision. She won't just watch them anymore. She will help them get together, or at least find out what the hell are they waiting for. She will get to the bottom of this.

***

"So, Astrid. What about Hiccup?" asked Heather without further ado. They were standing on the clearing of the forest, where they usually exercised the axe throwing.

"What about him?" asked back the girl unknowingly, as she threw one of her axes right into the bullseye.

"How are you two doing?" rephrased her question Heather, while she tried to hide her excited smile. Astrid put down the next axe and turned to face her.

"Ah, you are doing it again," she said.

"I have no idea what are you talking about," responded Heather with a badly hidden grin.

"I have told you already, that we are just friends," said Astrid, as she held up her axe again, and threw it into a tree, like if she was saying: End of story. But she was very mistaken, if she thought, she will get away with only this.

"And I have told you already, that I don't believe you."

"Okay. Then what do you think, what are we?" asked Astrid with a bit frustration in her voice.

"Fine. Maybe right now you are just friends. But when will you become something more?"

"What makes you think, there is more?" asked Astrid as she threw yet another axe into a tree, with clearly more power than usually. She was getting angry. Luckily, Heather was one of the few people, who wasn't afraid of the girl's fury – well, wasn't afraid that much, at least.

"Come on," responded Heather. "We are not shy kids anymore, Astrid. There is something between you two. Even a blind person would see that."

Her girlfriend put down her next axe, and sat down on the grass with a sigh. "Eh, you really think so?" she asked uncertainly, as Heather sat down in front of her.