One night

Takes place during Race to the Edge. Hiccup and Astrid are dating.

What happens, when you sleep together with your betrothed? Well, maybe it will be the deepest, sweetest sleep of your life. And maybe...

***

"Hiccup," Astrid whispered into her boyfriend's ear. "Are you asleep?"

"Well, not any more," he muttered in a sleepy voice.

"Sorry, I'm just... I can't remember whether I closed the stables or not."

"You didn't."

"Oh gods, I knew it! What will..."

"So I closed them," he interrupted her desperate voice and went black to sleep.

***

"Hey Astrid." Hiccup shook his love a little. "Astriiiiid."

Her eyes opened in an instant and she sat up, ready for anything. "Yeah? Yeah? What's the problem?!"

"You stole all the blankets."

***

"Hiccup. Hiccup, wake up." Astrid slightly poked her betrothed.

"Yeah? I'm awake," he responded, but his eyes were still closed.

"Your stubble is scratching my neck," complained Astrid.

"Well, then move away," he mumbled. She could barely understand his words.

"I would, if I could, but you are holding me too tightly." There was no response. "Hiccup?!"

"Oh yeah? Yeah! I'm awake," he assured her as he tilted his head a bit to show her how awake he was. "What's the problem?"

"Well... Now nothing... But don't move."

***

"M'lady," sang Hiccup as he started caressing the girl's back. Astrid moved away from his chest and looked up at him.

"Hiccup, it's the middle of the night," she responded in a tired voice.

"I dreamt about you."

"Did you seriously wake me up, just to tell that?"

"Hey, it was a really sweet dream."

"Well, if you don't let me sleep, I won't be able to dream about you." This seemed to convince the boy.

***

"Hiccup! I know that Toothless is all right with this, but I am definitely not."

"Mhm, what?" Hiccup woke up, and realised, he was draped over Astrid. "Oh gods, I'm sorry." He quickly got up and went back to his place on the bed, beside the girl. "I really don't know how this happens all the time," he blushed and scratched the back of his head.

"Hey, it's all right," she told him with a reassuring smile. "But if you do it again, you will sleep with Toothless tonight," she said, still smiling, as she snuggled into his chest. Hiccup had no idea whether she was just teasing him or meant it seriously.

***

Hiccup woke up, because Astrid couldn't lie still beside him. He tried to go back to sleep, but it was not working, since his love couldn't stop rolling around.

"All right," he said finally. "What's wrong?"

"Oh, you are up?"

"I didn't really had a choice."

"I'm sorry, it's just..." She rolled over again. "I can't find a fitting spot for myself. Your bed is wrong..." Hiccup knew Astrid was frustrated, but he couldn't help smiling. She was so damn cute, when she was angry with some minor issue.

He reached out for the girl and pulled her closer to himself. Astrid's back pressed against his chest and he wrapped his arms around her.

"Much better," whispered the girl.

***

Astrid opened her eyes. Her love was right in front of her, sleeping deeply, and snoring a bit. Her arm got numb under his head, but she just couldn't wake him up, when he was sleeping this sweetly. Gods, she loved him. She slowly pulled her arm out, being really careful, not to disturb him. She put her hand onto the boys chest, snuggled into his shoulder, and reached out for his free arm, to wrap it around her shoulder. Finally, she sighed in relief, that she was able to do this all, without waking up the boy.

"Next time, just ask me," Hiccup whispered to her. Astrid rolled her eyes.

***

"Good morning m'lady," smiled Hiccup at Astrid, as she opened her eyes.

"Morning babe," she smiled back.

"Waking up next to you is the best feeling in the world, you know that?"

Astrid's smile widened. She loved how sensitive Hiccup could be. "Still not better than going into sleep next to you."

If you have any comments, constructive criticism or story suggestions, please leave them here. I love reading about your thoughts.

Thank you for reading! Have a good day/night!