Steve Rogers -16-

You and Steve

You and Steve. Steve and you. It was always you two together. Five years ago, you met right after he'd come out of the ice. You had helped him adjust to life in the modern world and stayed by his side no matter what since. Three years ago you began dating. Four months ago, you married on the greatest day of both your lives'. Life was good. Not perfect. Steve and you, both Avengers, still faced dangers every day. Together, you'd faced and triumphed over many perils, including your terrible nightmares and Steve's self-doubt. You knew that having each other was the greatest blessing in the world, and you thanked your lucky stars for it every single day.

Then this morning happened. 

Something was wrong in the world, you could sense it. You hadn't had nightmares for almost two solid years, and yet the dreams in your mind last night were nearly too horrible to tell. You, of course, went straight to Steve, who reassured you, telling you it was all just a bad dream. You, knowing in your heart that something was very, very wrong, shook your head and let a single tear fall down your cheek as Steve held you close.

"Steve... I think- I know I'm going to die. And soon."

Steve inhaled sharply and stepped back from you, shaking his head vehemently. You nodded silently, not wanting to believe it yourself, but knowing in your heart it would be true. Steve bowed his head for a moment, then reached out and took your hands in his own, his gaze steely.

"Then we'll do that together, too. Like always. I love you."

"I love you, too."