Wanda & Pietro Maximoff -1-

You stared at nothing, curling and uncurling your first

You stared at nothing, curling and uncurling your first. It had been long enough that you didn't feel the pain anymore and the blood was mostly dry. Your life was a difficult one. You had to survive however possible in this cruel world, and you had to do it alone. That's what they always said. You should have believed them, should have known not to help that little girl. Out of all the kids struggling out here, you had to feel sympathy for the weakest one.

And now she was dead.

Caught in a gunfight between seven mob cronies. Just a kid, barely seven years old. Did that stop the man who shot her from pulling the trigger? Of course not. Now he would never touch a gun again. You'd made sure of that. Cracking your neck side to side, you turned to leave the alleyway and the man's body behind, but something whizzed by your vision and you paused, raising your fists again. You'd heard rumors of a man who could run like the wind who covered business for the shady folks around here, but you'd never believed them- could you have been wrong to doubt?

Only a moment later, you got your answer, as a young man appeared in the entrance to the alley, staring at the body behind you with a sharp expression.

"Why?"

Your gaze narrowed and you stalked right past him, a little surprised he let you do so.

"I had to. For the kid."

His arm was suddenly before you, halting your advance. You glanced at him with a cold glare.

"Do you want a better life?"

You scoffed and tried to duck under his arm. He was too quick. After a moment, you turned fully and fixed him with a hard stare, though not as harsh as you had a moment before.

"'Course I do, but why should you care?"

A young woman wearing a red trenchcoat turned the corner and peered at you with a fiery gaze. She reminded you of the little girl with those eyes. You flinched.

"Come with us."