Chapter 2 - Informant

January 19th, 9:13 AM - HYENA HQ - Chicago, IL Azura's POV

**********

After the short and uninformative debrief, Azura was seated with Ms. Jordan, Johnny and Amir at a table in front of Starbucks.

"I fucking hate Mano sometimes. That prick loves keeping me in the dark."

"It's not just you. All of us are on a need to know basis."

Azura threw the napkin she had been taking her frustration out on, but Amir deflected it with the case file. "Yeah, well, unlike you, I like to know what stupid shit I'm getting into and if I could die in the process."

Johnny, who was munching away on the chocolate chip cookie Amir had bought for her, offered her own two cents. "What about Noble? If anyone can hack into a server and get you information, it's him."

She was right, and Azura had initially thought of that. But to her dismay, her long time friend was away on another mission with no return date on file. "He's not in town," she whined as Johnny patted her sympathetically.

"I still have some old connections. I could ask around if you need a hacker."

Her offer had Azura perk up with excitement. But before any details could be given, Amir shut it down. "That's not happening."

"Well, what if we -"

"No, we are not going to hold Goodwill hostage and threaten him for the information."

Johnny frowned before giving Azura an apologetic smile. "Sorry, I tried."

She waved her hand, dismissing the failed attempt. "Don't worry about it; I'll figure something out."

She sat in silence, her mind trying to pinpoint ways to get more information. As she stared off into space, her eyes briefly focused on the sloppy movements of the older woman in front of her. The bags and sullen cheeks were another give away to how exhausted this woman was.

That asshole can't even see how overworked she is. That's her second cup of coffee in the span of ...

And a brilliant idea was born. Taking out her phone, her thumbs quickly typed away.

As the recipient's phone vibrated, Azura glanced at Amir, who was preoccupied with his phone.

My Fav Arsonist

A - Do you still have that truth serum?

J - Yup, never returned it to Henry lol

Her heart swelled with pride when her friend had used the shorthand text lingo. She was slowly learning the ways of the modern world.

A - Can I steal some?

From her peripheral vision, she saw Johnny look up at her. Her lip tugged to the corner before she quickly typed a reply.

J - Why, though? That so much work. I can just give you mine.

And just as her proudness hit its peaked, it started its fast descent down. She shared a smile with the adorably, confused girl. She still had a long way to go.

A - That would great; you're the best! Meet me near the bathroom in 10.

With that, she quickly jumped into character, placing her best non-threatening friendly smile.