Special Chapter 2 - The Bet

April 1st, 8:09 AM - HYENA Playground - Chicago, IL Azura's POV

***********

NOTE:  This chapter's events take place during the period when she was reassigned to protect Preston. Originally thought of making this an actual chapter for the story but didn't think it played a significant role in plot development. 

The wooden katana twirled around her hand as she waited for her friends to reach the training grounds. This was one of her favourite activities, especially when she had to de-stress.

Noble and Amir, made their way over to her, each equipped would their weapons. She had yet to inform them of the latest development in her mission partly because she was dreading Noble's reaction and partly because she needed them to be her substitutes.

I'm about to get out of this mission one way or another. 

"Who's first?"

In response to Noble's question, Amir merely swung his sword before nodding at her.

She glanced between them before smiling her signature cocky one.

"Before we start, let's have a little wager shall we?"

Her excitement made Noble eyes turn to slits. He was right to be suspicious because she rarely made bets.

"Depends on what we're wagering on."

Amir nodded in agreement crossing his arms as he watched her expectantly.

"If I win both of you take the mission I've been assigned to. If you win, then you tell me what you want."

The boys shared a look, Noble still a tad more suspicious than Amir.

"I get your mustang for the weekend."

She almost snapped her rejection of the absurd proposal. No one and she meant no one, touched her precious baby. It was her first car which she had bought with her money after the successful rescue of an ambassador.

Her mustang meant the world to her and Amir knew that. But she also knew what she was asking for in return.

"Fine, and Noble?"

His frown and intense gaze made her stomach churn but she played it cool, her playful smirk enhanced with a wink.

"I smell something fishy," he started.

"But I'll play along on one condition. You answer every question I have."

Noble wasn't about to jump into this deal without trying everything he could to know exactly what she was hiding. He could easily be compared to that of bloodhound with a keen nose for secrets, her secrets. Azura knew she would not be able to hide the truth from him much longer and merely huffed out a sigh.

"Alright fine. Amir first."

But Noble also took his place on the blue mat. "Nice try Azu." His smirk widened, ready to egg her on. "What? Can't take us both on? I thought you claimed to be the best when it came to wielding a blade of any length and any kind."

She stared at her friend who raised an eyebrow in challenge.

Internally she groaned in frustration but remained nonchalant. "I am the best."

Whatever happened, she would have to remain her usual confident self. If either of them sensed desperation, then things would go south.

The trio stepped onto the mat, with Amir behind her and Noble in front. A round was complete when three critical hits were made, or when the opponent was no longer able to advance.