Chapter 31 - Childhood Friends

March 19, 8:37 AM - Elgin Hall Residence, Chicago, IL Preston's POV

**********

Shuffling out of his room, Preston rubbed his eyes in a poor attempt to rid the sleep within them. The clatter of dishes in the kitchen told him that his roommate had decided to eat breakfast at the normal hour.

"Morning."

With his head hung, he managed to climb up onto a barstool but slumped forward. The cold granite countertop pressed against his forehead felt soothing.

"Good morning," a cheery voice greeted back.

A cherry male voice.

Snapping his head up, he winced as he felt the sharp pain in the base of his neck. Rubbing it, he looked at the shirtless boy that stood in his kitchen with squinted eyes. His focus zeroing in on the bowl of fruit loops in hand.

That's my fruit loops...and that's a boy.

Slowly blinking, he finally took in that a stranger was enjoying breakfast in his dorm, and he had no idea who he was.

She doesn't have any weekend guys. I have never met a Saturday before.

The boy simply smiled at his silence while shovelling another scoop of the colourful cereal in his mouth. While munching, he thrusted his bowl forward.

"Want some?"

I mean, that's my cereal. I don't remember needing to get offered to eat my own food.

But no sarcastic, witty comment made it to the surface. Instead, the good polite boy inside him smiled and croaked out a simple refusal.

With that, the soft crunch that came from the mystery boy's mouth acted as a relaxing ASMR while they waited for their mutual friend to arrive.

Sure enough, Azura padded into the kitchen with her silver hair thrown up into a messy bun. She nodded at the boys as she moved to get a single spoon before placing herself on the countertop next to the shirtless boy. Preston silently watched as she nonchalantly scooped a spoon for herself.

The boy wasn't fazed and instead moved his bowl closer for her to get a better serving.

They're the definition of buddies in fuck buddies.

As the three sat there in the kitchen, with no introduction of any sort, the sound of their condo door opening had Preston straighten in his seat.

But the relaxed composure of his roommate was a dead giveaway for the fact that the unexpected company was hers. A tall boy strode into the kitchen dressed immaculately with a tray of Starbucks in his hand.

The boy was hands down the tallest, and he wore a brooding expression that matched with his tan trench coat and a single pierced ear. Azura hopped off her spot to grab her share of caffeine, quick to give him a clumsy hug as her thanks before taking a seat back on the counter.

The shirtless boy grinned at his friend as he was handed his. "You rock."

His thanks were answered with a single curt swear word. Preston stared between the two, realizing how different they were. They almost seemed like polar opposites.

So, she has two Saturdays... I guess Saturdays are special.

He couldn't exactly find fault with Azura's choice, the new intruder making his simple style work in favour. He reminded him of those poker face runway models.