Chapter 39 - Intruder

April 2nd, 8:30 AM - Elgin Hall Residence - Chicago, IL Preston's POV 

***********

A weekend rolled by and not even single text came from Azura. The first few days his mind had swarmed with worry, as his imagination tortured him with dreadful scenarios. After being unable to sleep for three days, he crashed yesterday taking the entire day off to catch up on everything had neglected, his health included. 

But what puzzled him most was his unusual behaviour.

She's not my girlfriend, yet why am I acting like I just went through some crazy break up? All my signs and symptoms shout broken heart. 

Rubbing his face groggily, he focused on getting out of bed and to the bathroom. 

The long and hot shower he took made him feel slightly better as he wrapped a towel around his waist and used the second to dry his air. Rubbing the fogged mirror with his hand, he stared at the boy watching him. He had grown a lot this semester and he would have never expected it to be because of his roommate. Giving himself a small smile, he finished up his routine. 

As he opened the door the usual silence that greeted him was different.

At first, he thought his ears were playing tricks on him, but the longer he listened he could make out the shuffles. 

 His eyes shifted to the bedroom door that been closed after she left and presently remained closed. With a deep frown on his face, he tiptoed towards the room, and gently placed his ear against the wooden door.

His eyes widened when he heard what sounded like a drawer closing and he quickly slapped a hand over his mouth to stop the gasp that almost escaped. 

What? There is definitely someone in there but who? 

Given all that had happened this week, only the worst possible option flashed in Preston's mind. 

Thugs. 

It was the only thing that made sense since they had been seen prowling around campus. The more Preston thought about it the more his blood pressure increased, and his body shook with fear. 

They must have found out where I lived and are now searching for clues to find Azura. Shit, what if they find her home address or something in there?! 

Gripping his hair in frustration he eyes darted back and forth. 

Maybe I should call the police? But what if they take too long. What if they're armed? Should I just barge in? What if they come out? Maybe I can knock em out? And with what? 

On cue, his gaze drifted to the kitchen. 

Pans!

Throwing a fleeting glance at the door, he tried to scurry as quietly as possible to grab his weapon of choice. As he sifted through the cupboard, the bedroom door opening could be heard. His heart jumped into his throat rendering him speechless as he remained frozen in his squat position. 

The door clicked closed and steady footsteps made their way towards him. 

His body reacted on its own and he gripped onto the handle of a pan so tightly that his knuckles turned white. 

His breath quickened, and as he counted on the third exhale, he forced his legs to move shooting him up to his 6'2 glory. In as fluid of a motion possible, he swung the pan with all his might.