Chapter 30 - Feelings

Thanks for voting and reading! 

March 18, 11:43 PM Elgin Hall Residence, Chicago, IL Azura's POV

**********

"I feel like I'm starting to understand why some information is classified."

Noble was lying on the bed, with a laptop nestled on his chest as he typed away. Amir, who was on the line, agreed with him. "You were better off, not knowing."

"I know," Azura groaned. "It's just a big fucking mess. I'm starting to crave the simplicity from when I first got the mission."

She stood by her mirror as she combed through her wet hair, tugging at the knots that had formed. "I can't believe I didn't see the resemblance sooner. Come to think of it; he doesn't share any features with his adoptive father."

The fact that Preston was the son of the very criminal her parent agency was after made the entire mission a little more complicated. Especially with the request, his biological mother had just dropped on her.

"It doesn't have to be complicated. Just do your job, and it'll be simple," Amir reminded her.

She bit her lip as she stared at the phone on the vanity, not trusting herself to voice her disagreement. In reality, nothing had technically changed. She still had to protect Preston, and Rosa still had to turn in Dano. But with the backstory and feeling a little more attached to each victim, Azura felt like she had to do more.

"You're not going actually to try and get Preston to meet her, right?" Noble asked, his tone doubtful.

He stared at him through the mirror, quick to deny it, "No, that would be reckless."

But I'd be lying if I hadn't been thinking about it.

Giving up with her hair, she tossed the brush into its drawer before making her way to her bed with the phone in hand.

"We can only hope things don't go south," Amir prompted gently. "And that's out of your control, Azura." It was Amir's way of telling her to stand down because her best friend knew the doubts that were swarming in her head.

But it was that possibility that had been gnawing at Azura's conscience. She disagreed with Rosa's actions, but at the same time, she didn't have the heart to deprive her of the chance to see the child she clearly loved.

I blame the orphan in me for this, she angrily thought, unpleased with herself for being swayed by her informant's sob story.

"I'm headed to bed. No more reckless visits Azura," Amir warned.

"Yeah, I know. I'll keep a low profile."

Before Amir could end the call, Noble quickly added his request. "Come pick me up tomorrow, okay?" Having accompanied her to the club and acted as her lookout, Noble decided to spend the night at her condo. He had yet to meet Preston, who had been tucked away in his room when they had arrived.

"No."

"Come on, please," Noble whined as he begged for his friend's help.

Azura silently counted down before her friend's signature remark was heard. "It's not my problem," she mouthed at the exact time before silently guffawing.

"I have your laptop and credit card."

It was Noble now you had to slap a hand over his mouth to smother the laughs that threatened to come out.