Chapter 27 - Baby Shower

March 11, 12:45 PM 45 Timbermill Dr. Byron's House - Creede, Colorado Preston's POV

**********

Her closed-lip smile turned into a grin making him smile back at her. "I vow to protect you and carry out my duty as your fake girlfriend with the utmost precision." She mock saluted before laughing at how ridiculous she sounded.

They were seated in the car, parked a few houses down from their actual destination. After finding Azura a baby blue dress, that happened to match his shirt, the pair were now sitting in the car to take a breather before heading into the war zone.

"For the record, I just want you to know that when I said this, I was surprised at the fact that I was able to make up such a farce. But I realized that I am the most comfortable with you and if I had to do this with anyone it would be with you."

He didn't know why he had to justify himself and the words that left his mouth only made him more self-conscious. But his date merely laughed before teasing him about his flirting skills.

"So, what's our story?" She faced him as she adjusted her earrings.

"Dated for a year now, met at school through mutual friends" he offered unsure if the story would suffice.

Azura merely shrugged indifferent with what was created and ready to go along with it. "That sounds good to me. Aside from Beatrice, anything I should know going in?"

He watched as she rechecked her makeup on the car mirror. Having packed for a few days at the ranch, she had claimed to have brought minimal make-up supplies, yet Preston could find no fault with the way she looked now.

She looks just a good, even if she doesn't have her signature red lip.

He had been staring for too long, or maybe it was the look of confusion on his face that made her question him. "What?" she said with a smile before raising a hand to her face. "Is there something on my face?"

He blankly stared at her for a few seconds before stuttering out a yes. "Uh, yeah. Let me get it for you."

Get what Preston? What the fuck are you doing?

While his mind shouted in panic, his body moved on its own.

She remained still as his hand tentatively reached forward to graze her cheek, only to freeze a mere inch away from her face. Becoming increasingly horrified with his actions, Azura's calm laugh offered some ease. "Wow look at you. You were so close; another inch and you would have made contact."

He hastily retracted his hand as she absently brushed her cheeks. "Girlfriend for a year now, met you through mutual friends. Stayed over for the first time. Your friend's names are Bryon and Tessa, childhood sweethearts and you met them in grade 9. Anything else?"

He shook his head silently.

"Great, ready to do this?"

Clearing his throat, he nodded again. "Yup."

They climbed out of their car and Azura waited for him to reach her. Side by side they entered the property, heading to the gathering that was taking place in the backyard.

Upon their arrival, Preston was met with a numerous amount of greetings with Bryon and a very pregnant Tessa leading the group. "Presidante! You made it!" Bryon was by his side, giving him a squeeze to which he nervously accepted as he scanned the crowd.