Chapter 18 - Rosa Sanz

February 18th, 1:37 PM - Gordon Square Basement - Chicago, IL Azura's POV

***********

The basement was not as heavily guarded as the rest of the building and for good reason. No one came down here other than the cleaners and janitor leaving it as the perfect place to hold a secret rendezvous.

Having a history of inhumane and unethical interrogations take place here, a long-abandoned interrogation room was finally being used once again.

Azura stood behind the two-way mirror looking into the empty room which would soon hold the mystery informant the FBI had been working diligently to keep hidden.

"I hope this isn't a waste of my time Joseph," Azura said, not moving her gaze from the room.

Mr. Goodwill stood next to her, a rigid posture with hands tucked into his trouser pockets. "She'll be here. Where's the drive?"

Azura finally turned her head to give the man a lazily smile. "Joseph, please. I wasn't born yesterday. After I have spoken to her, you'll get your precious pictures. Tell me, did I motivate you to make love to your wife that night?"

The door to the interrogation opened and a woman was guided through before being told to take a seat. The attendant closed the door behind her, and the Azura watched as the woman's cautious gaze wandered the room.

Where have I seen that weary gaze before?

"That's my cue." Leaving the room, she entered the one where the answer to all her questions lied.

"Ms. Sanz."

"Rosa."

"How about Rose?"

The facial expression changed to one that Azura could arguably say resembled of pain and longing before the stoic and weary mask was replaced. "It's just Rosa."

Azura nodded as she pulled the metal chair back and took a seat.

"Do you know who I am?"

"Another FBI agent, trying to find out if I'm lying about my intel?" she spat, giving her a look of disgust.

"No. Actually I don't work for that agency. I work for another one which happens to oversee protecting condition number 2 of your agreement."

She watched as the disgust was wiped clean and a more neutral gaze was directed upon her.

Good, I have your attention.

"Now, I'm sure you have many questions about your condition, but before that, I have a few of my own."

A thinly shaped eyebrow perked up and a sense of cockiness seemed to fill the room. "Is that so? To my understanding, I have given all my information. So, if I have to repeat myself, then that means, you were never meant to hear any of this."

Azura tilted her head slightly as she analyzed the woman in front of her. She was beautiful, the keyword being was. Whether it was drug, alcohol or both the once youthful appearance of this woman was long buried. She had a mature appearance, but it was haggard and unnatural. Yet, her eyes were sharp and unwavering. They were the eyes of a survivor who had been through hell and back.

Taking her silence as defeat, Rosa continued. "You know, you and I... we aren't that different."

Azura, settled further in her seat, a tad excited to hear what she had in store. "Do explain."