Chapter 46 - Code Black

Thank you for showing your support! 

April 5th, 5:07 AM - Unknown Location - Chicago, IL Preston's POV

***********

Preston sat in the exact same spot from yesterday, only this time he was slowly scooping a spoonful of cereal into his mouth.

He could hardly taste the milky sweetness because all of his senses had shut down. His body was in sleep mode so that his mind could use all it's energy to focus on everything he learned.

Azura was a spy. A federal agent. A modern-day female James Bond. Everything he knew about her till now was a lie, or as Noble had called it her cover story.

Her mother. Her sob story. She's not even a student.

The initial shock had rendered him dumb as he had a hard time understanding everything. But the more he thought about it, the more possible it seemed. At one point, his mind caved to the sinister dark voice in his head that started to spin a web of anger and betrayal. But Amir or Noble never allowed those emotions to take over.

The only thing fake or a lie was the story about her. But she was always herself. That bold, confident and caring person is still the real Azura, the Azura you've come to know. Think about all the times she helped you through the role she had...if it really was just about the mission why would she go to such great lengths to help you?

Noble's words acted as a gentle reminder of the time she had obeyed his wishes as a roommate, assisted with his presentation and even helped design his hometown's derby. It was true, she didn't have to do any of it, yet she did.

Sighing he pushed the bowl away, not able to continue the mindless task of eating as two questions remained at large. They were ones Noble refused to give an answer to.

Why was Azura assigned to me? Why is my life in danger?

And no matter how hard he pulled his brain apart for a reason, none came to mind.

The boys eventually made their way to the kitchen each fixing their own breakfast before taking a seat at the table with him. He watched them silently, as they ate whilst scrolling through their phones, completely at ease with the current situation, until one of their phones rang.

Amir stared at his device before reluctantly sliding the green button across. But before he could place it to his ear, Noble swiped it from him, promptly clicking the speaker button so that they all could listen in.

A quiet sigh left Amir but the boy made no move to undo his friend's actions.

The voice on the other end was unknown to Preston since it didn't belong to the man he had met yesterday. Whoever it was, sounded slightly worried as they gave their update. "We haven't found her yet. Her phone was tossed along the road and none of her trackers are giving us a signal. That could mean one of two things, it's broken or it's been...deactivated."

Deactivated?

The second option sent a jolt through Preston's body making him flinch, unable to shake the feeling that deactivated had a hidden meaning.

"Or she's out of range," Noble decided as Amir nodded along.

"I guess but," the man was cut off with Noble restating his answer with confidence.

"You didn't call in a code black did you?" Noble asked making Preston frown at the secret term which meant little to him.

"No," the stranger said, with a weary sigh. "I don't know why she always prepares for the extremes."

The Devil's 5'5On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara