Chapter 20

"Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like."
― Lemony Snicket

Chapter 20: The Prince and The child of the church

[Ryan Prescott]

  A laugh escapes from my mouth because of the stunt the woman beside me pulled, I expected this to happen, I know suzue won't think deeper about the action Tatum did, I was certain, but why, why does I feel short of breath, why does My chest felt weird, it's tightening and I could feel pain every time I remember the scene earlier..

especially when I noticed how suzue held tatum's hand without hesitation.

 "anyway... so how was your class suzue, i heard majority of them are boys?" I stared at hadley blankly,

I don't like this woman a bit, her smile might be gentle and sweet but i could sense something behind it, it might look sincere but from time to time i would catch her smile turning to a force, her innocent expression is a bit disturbing.

i remembered when the day i met this woman, she was acting rally cute and sweet, pretending she doesn't know who i am and just decided to act familiar with me. but i let her go because i knows how capable she is, i know what contribution she could share to my land.

she would be a great tool to flourish this land further, a great tool to pull all the citizens towards my side, a great tool to make me the next Emperor.

"it was good, we did nothing but introduction and spar, and the whole class consist of boys, i'm the only girl in it.

i notice hadley glance at me but i ignored it and sips on my tea and glance at the woman beside her,

Suzue Reed, daughter of Duke Ezekiel Avaleon, she refuses to use the duke's surname to respect the church that took care of her when she was just a new born, 

I heard how strong and terrifying the duke is, and i witness it when i was young, his eyes were pink and narrowed, filled with coldness and intensity, his hair were while yet they didn't made him look like an elder. he stood with stern, elegance, and might...i respected him too much.

i thought no one would bring out the gentleness and fun side of the duke since the day his beloved wife died, but i was wrong, it was when there was a royal meeting when one of the nobles asks about his daughter. and he answered which one.

i was confuse at first so does the other nobles, and then he spoke again 'i have two daughters, one who took my name and was my mistress daughter and the other who won't take my name and was labeled as the child of the church, so which one?'

his eyes that time were filled with gentleness and mirth. We were startled at first but everyone immediately composes themselves and ask about the second child.

in nobility everyone loves issues the most and the issue that time was the duke's so of course everyone immediately got hooked. and without a second thought they choose the second child,

everyone knows about his child who got engage to me, she was elegant and an epitome of a noble lady, smart and good at every maiden works and so they want to learn more about the other.

the other who haven't been announce throughout the kronos, the other who wasn't known yet.

i still remembered how the expression of the duke that time when everyone waited for him to describe his other daughter. the look on his face was that of a expression when you see your knight being lazy and refuses to take part in the battles.

so we immediately assume that the lady, was a rowdy and unladylike child. everyone but me lost their interest, well wouldn't? who would let their son marry a good for nothing woman? surely no one would right?

Everyone might lost their interest but i didn't because for once i saw a different expression on the duke's face it was intriguing and amusing, then suddenly i started to feel the need to meet the person who made the duke look like this. The person who manage to bring back the emotions the duke lost.

and so i did, at first i failed... i went to the town hoping that i could see her, then i remembered i don't know the child's appearance, it was a bit disappointing but i didn't gave up. 

when another meeting came, i gathered the courage to ask the duke, first he was confuse ad asked me why i want to know and i used my standing as a prince to get the answer, he laugh and patted my head and shakes his head and disbelief.

the he answered, the child have white hair the same as him, and a pair of pink eyes that were filled with boredom, listlessness, and seems to be sleepy. Every nobleman would have the disappointment and disgust towards their daughter when they are describing a unacceptable attitude their spouse have. 

But the duke showed different expression, it was filled with amusement, gentleness, and proud. startled, once again i felt the urge to meet her.

my second attempt was a failure and so does my third and fourth. but when i started to feel hopeless and i was about to give up, i met her.

my fifth attempt, which i assume it was, was just the others and i, Hadley Lockwood invited me to a shopping together with her brother, i brought my knight this time and we all went to the town, i ignore every words the woman was spouting and roam my eyes around, hoping to find the child i've been having an interest on.

but i didn't manage to see the girl, but the other one instead, Lilith Avaleon my fiance was walking alone i the town, staring with interest at every product the vendors were selling. 

i called her and gestured her to come over, i decided if i couldn't meet the girl then i can use her to provide some information.

but Hadley had another plans, and stole her away from.. and once again my hatred towards the woman rose.